Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Low beams out, high beams work...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Exclamation Low beams out, high beams work...?

Hi just need some help figuring out this problem. I tried to install an HID kit but got no response so i left it and hooked the stock headlamps back up. Now the High beam/running lights work perfectly fine but nothing from the low beams. I have taken every single fuse out and checked them all, all is good. I did ground the HID kit to a common ground point behind the headlamp assembly. Just disconnected the HID kit from it and tried the stock low beams again but stull nothing. I do have a volt meter but am not sure what exactly to test in regards to this matter. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM

First thing to check is the bulbs. Headlamp bulbs contain two filaments, one for high and one for low beams. Either can be burned out without affecting the other.
Assuming that the bulbs are good, check for voltage at the plugs. There are three wires, one is a ground, the other two power the high and low beams. If your low beam lead is dead when the switch is turned on, you'll need to trace your work with the HID lights. There are two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one at the left end of the dash. Check them both.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Yes i have pulled every single fuse in both boxes and checked. The filaments are also good. Not sure which prongs are neg/pos/ground any insight?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Ground is usually a black wire. With your voltmeter set to the ohms (resistance) function, test all three wires. Make sure the lights are off. Connect one lead to ground in the car. The wire with zero resistance is the ground. The other two should show infinite resistance.
Then switch your voltmeter to the DC scale so you can read 12 volts. Turn the headlights on, low beam. The wire with 12 volts is the low beam feed. The third wire is the high beam feed. If you don't get any reading from the low beam feed, you'll need to trace it back and re-check what you did with that HID installation.

You might find some wiring information at 12volt.com