Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

More Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Default More Electrical Issues

I just bought a used 2001 sebring sedan and car runs great. It just has a few things wrong with it and hope someone here can shed a little light on the matter.

The most important one is that the illumination lights in the dash don't work all the time, but they will eventually come on after 5-30 minutes most of the time. Sometime if I hit a bump they will either turn themselves on or off depending on their state at the time, but not always. All the other lights work and the dimmer switch works as it dims the light for the gear display reading on the dash.

Second thing; the sunroof won't open.

Third; rear drivers side window won't go down.

Finally, the rear speakers don't work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but the AC works initially, but then after a few minutes it stops blowing cold air. Then I notice that system changes from blowing air out the vents to the floor, or at least attempts to. Sometimes it will come back and start working.

Its kinda like the dash illuminated back ground lights that come and go when they want!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Search the forum here for "inverter". It seems to be a fairly common problem with the dash lights. That guy up in Canada is "Mr. Whizard". Search the web for his page.

Window problem could be a bad switch or a bad motor or a broken wire in the harness that leads to the door.

A/C problem could be low refrigerant and/or a bad control head on the dash.

Get yourself a good volt-ohm meter and start tracing down these problems one by one.

Keep an eye out on eBay for a shop manual. It contains a complete wiring diagram which occupies many pages. Make sure you don't get a manual for a coupe. It's totally different.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 04-17-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM

Will the Dodge Stratus sedan or the Sebring convert instrument panel work in my Sebring sedan. I noticed that there are a couple places that sell refurbished instrument panels and that they say that Sebring convertibles are the same as the sedans. I took one out and compared it, but they are black face gauges.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Some Sebrings had black faced gauges, The Limited models had white faced gauges. Logic would dictate that they should be interchangeable with the Dodge but if the Dodge didn't have some features like fog lamps there could be some differences. Convertible should work.
Also, I'm not certain but I think the odometer number is stored in the panel itself (I could be wrong about that) so that could be an issue. Probably the people that sell refurbished parts could answer that for you.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM

I had a look at the dash from the convert and the stratus, which turned out to be a sebring sedan after all, but both have black non-eli glow instrument panels and looks to be the same, but unfortunately for me neither one are for the auto stick transmission which I have! Darn, I was hoping that I could sway out the panels, but not with either panels from the aforementioned vehicles.

I'm not that crazy about the white gauges to begin with.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Update.

I've replaced the head unit for the AC\heater and topped the AC with freeon, but no change in the AC. Although, it doesn't freak out anymore by all of a suddenly change from blowing out the vents to the floor or through the defrost vents.

It blew cold when i was charging it, but days later when I went to turn on the AC it blew warm.

I got a replacement inverter from glohut and will check to see if I can fix it myself. I also ordered a replacement instrument cluster for my car as well off ebay. Hopefully it doesn't have the same problem mine has, I will use the replacement while I break\fix my original panel.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Well, I got my inverter and installed it and now my original instrument cluster works great.

Also, I noticed that my AC will blow cold when the car is cold or cooled down, but after the car warms up it stops. Any ideas?

Now, on to the rest of the issues.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM

After 13 years I'd be surprised if the A/C hadn't lost some refrigerant. Unfortunately, there's no real way to be sure of the level of charge in there other than sucking it all out and re-installing the proper amount.
There are some aftermarket kits that claim to be able to tell if the charge is correct and to allow you to add the right amount. You might try one of those.
If it won't hold a charge, then you'll have to figure out where the leak is and fix that.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM

I don't think there is a leak as it will blow cold initially for about 30 minutes each time the car has been off for a while or over night.

Quick Reply: More Electrical Issues