Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

need advice for possible trans flush/drain&refill

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Default need advice for possible trans flush/drain&refill

Greetings,

this is my first post to CF but ill try to be as thurough as possible.

Car: 01' Sebring coupe lxi 3.0L, auto trans 160k miles

I was topping off fluids after finishing an oil change this morning and i noticed my trans. dip stick was bone dry so i went ahead an added about 3/4 QT of B&M trick shift fluid that i had left over from my previous car. as it turns out that was a bad idea...The car at first would not even shift into any gear outside of park, so i waited 20 mins and tried again and this time after revving to about 4 grand a few times it SLAMMED into reverse and then after trying to slip into drive for a minute or so it SLAMMED into drive. i tried to go for a short drive but quickly turned around and parked it after it slipped out of drive and SLAMMED back in about 6 times in a minute. Now after reading up on my stupid mistake all day ive realized that this car only takes ATF+4 and Trick Shift is +7. So my question is If i drain the fluid from the pan, clean it out and refill with correct fluid will this fix the problem? or is it a much bigger issue? also ive heard that flushing could do more harm than good but in my case is it worth it to go ahead and try a full flush?

worth mentioning i am on an EXTREMELY tight budget so my only option is doing all the necessary work myself.

Any help at all would be greatly greatly appreciated! thanks

Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 AM

Agreed ATF+4 is the ticket but a "bone dry" dipstick is not good.
I doubt 3/4 qt of the wrong fluid is the cause of the problems described.
Pan drop and filter change will get 60 -70 % of the fluid. I disconnect the trans cooler lines and using low pressure air force as much fluid out as I can. This gets 80-90% of the fluid out.
Walmart usually has real ATF+4 for the best price around 4 per qt.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. The only reason im assuming the problem is from wrong fluid is because ive never had a trans problem before and this problem occured immediately after putting in the b&m. Hopefully its not a bad sensor! If it is ill be posting again for advice on changing that. I picked up ATF+4 and rtv lastnight.

Ill keep posted if the pan drop and line blow fixes it.
Thanks again