Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

No heat - actuator isues? 2001 Sebring LXI Sedan

Old 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Default No heat - actuator isues? 2001 Sebring LXI Sedan

Hi,
Hypothesis: The actuators for the blend door and possibly the mode doors are not working.

1) My heat never comes: While my AC blows very cold air, even when I turn the temp up - the air never gets hot on heat... not at all. (blend mode door?)
2) Recently, when I switch modes with the controller, air still comes through the defrost ports and is cold, regardless or the temp I dial in. (winter here.) (this is recent.) (hence mode door is now affected? and it is probably a temp sensor issue?)

Taking apart the dash is proving exceptionally difficult and I do not want to continue until I try a few things first. Hence I am asking for some help.

Possible low radiator fluid?
-My upper radiator return hose never seems to have a lot of pressure on it, but the res tank is full. The hose going to the heater is definitely hot but I can squeeze it. Could there be air in it causing this. I do not seem to be having a leak problem and the engine does not get too hot. (Could this be fooling sensors?)

Sensor issue?
- Could it be a temperature issue with a sensor... not allowing activation due to failure to sense heat? Could a relay be at fault?

Controller failure vs actuator failure?
- Could I find the wires to the actuator and apply voltage to see if they are working at all before I remove any more dash panels? (dangerous)
- Maybe I could access the wires from the harness end I found one particularly nice diagram, but it does not show the wires and colors.

Fractured doors:
- Well, this Is obviously the most terrifying possibility. However, since there were no grinding or popping noises I hope this is not the case.

- one thing I am pretty sure of: the foam on the doors is probably ancient history and has been blowing pieces through the vents for some time now.

Air Conditioning and Heater Unit. Fits: SEBRING 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI, 4-Spd. Automatic,41TE Convertible LX, SEBRING 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI, 4-Spd. Automatic... | FACTORY CHRYSLER PARTS

I could use an accurate wiring harness diagram, and need to know a safe voltage to apply to the actuator wires.
- If they work, then the problem is elsewhere!

I guess it would help to know the logic exactly in this heater AC unit.

My Model: 2001 Chyrsler Sebring LXI Sedan six cyl. 2.7L I think, but it could be the 3L. Analog climate controller.

Thanks in advance. I have half the dash apart. If I do need to get mechanics help, I Hope to avoid the six hours labor.

For the record: I have spent hours researching this and most of it was wasted links and near misses... so here I am. Pertinent links are most welcome.

Wraiththe

Last edited by Wraiththe; 12-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:47 PM

If you have a sedan, the only V-6 engine would be the 2.7 L. The 3.0 only went into coupes (built by Mitsubishi.)

A persistent problem with the heater in the sedan is the control head. It's very easy to swap out so that should be your first effort. If you've got the dash half apart you probably already have the control head out. You can try a junkyard replacement; any manual controller from a sedan, convertible or Dodge Stratus sedan 2001-2006 should work just fine. It's possible (likely?) that a junkyard replacement could have the same problem, although I think later models in the 2001-2006 run are probably better. You can still get this part brand new from dealers. On-line dealer sources are likely to be cheaper.

As far as voltages and wiring diagrams are concerned, the actuators are actually controlled via the body computer based on input from the control head, so even the shop manual isn't much help there. If you have access to a DRBIII (Chrysler scan tool) it may be able to drill down and get some readings on the actuator(s) and whether they are working.

The sensor that senses engine coolant temperature is the same source of information that drives (through the engine and body computers) the reading on the temp gauge on the dash, so if that's showing warm, everything else is reading warm.

My '01 convertible was refusing to put out heat. I tried a junkyard control head and that worked for a while until it crapped out again. I broke down and bought a new control head on line and it's been working fine ever since, about two years now, I think.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Good Advice. I have two controller heads. Had three. The one I am currently using is off of Ebay... because the AC would not run during the summer. Neither one works. Tapping on the dials is of no use. There should be a way to apply voltage to the wiring harness that goes directly to the actuators... If possible (if similar to the one I posted the link to above. It would save a lot of time disassembling the dash... if they worked. That is a whole lot of labor and I have no garage to work in.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ey_model=15475
Specifically the colors in cable 17 accessing it at the end on the right.. would be optimal. part 04608624AD

Last edited by Wraiththe; 12-20-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: add part