Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

NO POWER, Clicking noise, Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Question NO POWER, Clicking noise, Won't start

I am hoping someone here has had the same problems as I have with my 95 Sebring convertible. the engine is a 2.7 6 cylinder.

I was driving less than 10 minutes and I lost acceleration, The car oil light came on and the engine died. When I tried to restart it all I got was a click noise. All the radio and interior lights work, so It's not the battery.

I popped the hood and saw a bit of smoke from the oil reservoir (where the dipstick is located) and when BCAA came he tried to jump start without any results. My mechanic just days ago replaced the thermostat. Could this be a cause?

I am dealing with major stress right now and sure hope its not a seized engine or something like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Looking forward to a reply....

Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM

SO SOORY ITS A 2005 sebring. I made an error

Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

only a single cluck when u try and turn it? if so internal engine issue

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Thumbs down Information on Sebring!!

Our friend mechanic said the engine is toast?? seized. I'm not sure of that. It made no noises when it stalled and after going there this morning to try to jump start it it made a constant click noise and the battery is weak?

We are towing hte car to Canadian tire and finding out for sure even the mechanic there is sceptical? Could it be something else?

Our mechanic replaced a thermostat a week ago... the same day the engine light frame thing came on. We took it to canadian tire for a scope and showed no problems?

Then the car was driven to the body shop for some repairs, left it there for 4 days and when we picked it up within 5 minutes of leaving the body shop it lost acceleration, rolled to a stop and when we tried to re-start it it clicked. The interior lights worked and i checked the gauges all fine? I noticed the oil resevois had a bit of smoke (where the dipstick is. Checked oil in car it was fine!!!

Can an engine just seize without any symptoms at all? Can the thermostat being put in wrong or something like that do this to a car?

I have googled every site I can to check troubleshooting and I sure hope I'll find out the engine can be salvaged. It seems so weird to me that within 5 minutes an engine is toast?

Appreciate any feedback......

Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 AM

I have an '01 Sebring Lxi 92,500 miles. Similar problem, checked the oil a week earlier -- full up. Drove it the morning of June 11, no problems. In the afternoon the thing died instantly on the road- mechanic said it's seized. Apparently the 2.7s have a HUGE sludge problem that Chrysler has dodged via many lawsuits. I'm trying to get on a class action now, but I think it's far too late considering the age of the car and the recent bankruptcy. Alternatively, I've heard that it might be a broken timing belt, but I haven't found out yet..

Old 06-26-2011, 12:24 PM

I've heard that it might be a broken timing belt, but I haven't found out yet..
Well then....Before you start talking smack...Maybe you should find out....

I can Assure you...Youre problem is NOT a broken Timing Belt.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 06-26-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Well then....Before you start talking smack...Maybe you should find out....

I can Assure you...Youre problem is NOT a broken Timing Belt.

So essentially I'm correct to "talk smack?" Not very easy to be positive about a car's engine that seizes up with zero indicators and routine maintenance. Google 2.7 engine sludge if you think I'm exaggerating the scope of this problem...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Maybe YOU should Google 2.7 Timing belt failures.....Before Talking Smack.....

Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

my 2.7 just hit 220,000 miles today =)

Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Wow Kevin.....She's got alot of miles under her BELT.......Err ...umm... Or are you pulling my CHAIN?????

Quick Reply: NO POWER, Clicking noise, Won't start