Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Noise coming from Front Driver Side Wheel

Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Default Noise coming from Front Driver Side Wheel

I have a 2001Convertible Sebring.

For the past month I have noticed a rather loud noise while driving. The noise gets louder with speed and lower as I slow down. The noise sounds like I have put on an aftermarket air filter with a large pipe.

When I begin to turn right the noise goes away and stays away while in the turn. Going left it is still there and straight it is there. Only when I turn to the right does the noise go away.

I have checked the tires (which are 2 months old) and I do not see any abnormal wear on them. I have come to the conclusion that it may be the wheel bearings for the front driver side.

Does this seem like the correct assumption? I have been pricing the parts and looks like 90 bucks is the average, what could I expect for labor? Or, is this a DIY project. I have replaced brakes, rotors, fuel pumps, various sensors, but this a new one, I have not consulted my Haynes manual to see if it has anything onwheel bearing replacement or to see how involved it may be so thought I would ask. I have searched around on the net and it seems that difficulty varies greatly from car to car. The general concepts seem to be same.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Default RE: Noise coming from Front Driver Side Wheel

drake, what exactly does the noise sound like, i am having a similar problem with the left front driver's side, the car has been in the shop nine times within a month and a half, at first i thought something was coming loose, as the sound was like a knocking or clunking, they have replaced the ball joints, control arms, i was also getting a rubbing sound but it was when i turned the steering wheel to the right, they have checked bushings, thought we had it fixed this last time but two days ago the problem arose again, took it back and of course it didn't do it for the mechanic, even though he heard it before, now he's telling me that it's going to have to get worse again before they can do anything else.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM

The noise sounds like a low pitch hum/growl that causes a small amount of constant vibration. Very similar to the aggressive sound that muscle car makes but not that loud. The sound goes away when I turn to the right but not to the left.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM

I took the car in to the dealship to take care of some warranty work and they did confirm that the wheel bearing was causing the noise. I was quoted 310.00 parts and labor but then was told that it would be covered under the extended warranty. So I am letting them fix it.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 AM
ace

Yeah we get wheel bearing issues in like that. Should fix your problem

Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 AM

just lettin ya know, if it wasnt covered under warranty, go to advanced or auto zone. get them alot cheaper than stealerships and theyre simple to install. good to know you got it fixed under warranty though.