Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Oil Pressure Switch Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Default Oil Pressure Switch Leak

Hi everyone I'm new to the site. I been reading for 3 days now. Well anyway I just did the oil pan gasket and pressure switch on my mothers 02 2.7 coupe. Its been leaking and oil dummy light since she got it two or three years ago. Well my dad had the yearly inspection done. When it was on the lift he asked the guy where he thought it was leaking. He said it was the pan gasket. I thought it was a head gasket until doing some reasearch over weekend. And just by what I saw underneath doing oil changes on it. Does anyone know the how bad these switch's leaked oil? Reason I ask is when I got the switch out I noticed some oil up by the head. Almost like it was blown out of the heat shield. Also the old oil pan gasket didn't look to old. Anyway before I pulled that switch I use brake cleaner on the block and mopedy up the old oil. Block was as clean as it left the factory. If a head gasket was the cause of the leak would my coolant have oil? Thanks for reading my post and for the future help.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by rdfenn3
Hi everyone I'm new to the site. I been reading for 3 days now. Well anyway I just did the oil pan gasket and pressure switch on my mothers 02 2.7 coupe. Its been leaking and oil dummy light since she got it two or three years ago. Well my dad had the yearly inspection done. When it was on the lift he asked the guy where he thought it was leaking. He said it was the pan gasket. I thought it was a head gasket until doing some reasearch over weekend. And just by what I saw underneath doing oil changes on it. Does anyone know the how bad these switch's leaked oil? Reason I ask is when I got the switch out I noticed some oil up by the head. Almost like it was blown out of the heat shield. Also the old oil pan gasket didn't look to old. Anyway before I pulled that switch I use brake cleaner on the block and mopedy up the old oil. Block was as clean as it left the factory. If a head gasket was the cause of the leak would my coolant have oil? Thanks for reading my post and for the future help.
Also forgot to say depending on how much she drove I was putting a half to a quartof oil a week in the thing

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM

If it's a coupe, then it's not a 2.7 L engine. Coupes were built by Mitsubishi and had 2.5 or 3.0 L engines if they were a V-6. The 2.7 L engine went into the sedans and convertibles which were built by Chrysler. The 2.7 L engine has had a known problem with the oil pressure switch.
If you are seeing oil above the switch, the more likely cause is the valve cover gasket. This is not the cylinder head gasket. Pulling the cylinder head to change the gasket is a MUCH bigger job than replacing the valve cover gasket.
If you are thinking of doing it yourself, invest in a shop manual like Haynes (#25040) and read up on what's required. Then you can decide whether you and your toolbox are up to the task. Even if you decide it's beyond your skills, you can discuss it more intelligently with the mechanic.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry I meant sedan. I'm just hoping oil was blowing out of he switch and got it all over the place and making it look like its leaking out of the gasket

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM

Not likely. More probable that it's coming from above. The rear valve cover is doable but a bit of a PITA.