Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Rear speaker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Cool Rear speaker Issues

Hi,
2001 Sebring Sedan Lxi w/infinity sound system. My rear speakers are not producing sound. I had hoped to eliminate simple things and locate the trouble. Well I am having trouble.

I have tried quite a few things to diagnose why the rear speakers in my car are not playing

1) Tested for continuity for the wiring harness
a) from the head unit out - to the amp In All had great continuity

b) from the amp to the back speakers. All had great continuity
2) Tried two other amps
3) Tried another stereo
4) Tried a home speaker instead of the ones in the car. (from the trunk)

I have hooked up the speaker to the wiring harness from the stereo and (at, but before the amp) there is a low signal coming from the L/R rear speaker. Like a pre-amp signal.

I have hooked the home speaker to the output from the amp with the wiring harness plugged in, and there is not really much sound coming from the speaker.

I have noticed that when I turn the volume way up with the fader set to rear... I still hear some small sound from the small front speakers.

I suppose the next step is to see if there are any shorts by cross checking the wiring harness starting with the rear speakers.

All six speakers go through this small amp under the passenger seat. 4 in front, two in back.

I wonder if there is a separate "amp on" wire for the back speakers.

If you have read this far, you have a pretty good attention span, thanks.
I welcome any suggestions for testing. This car is not getting a new after market stereo. Salvage parts are OK.
Thanks,

Wraiththe

Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 PM

Sorry, I could not figure out how to edit a post... The Sebring is a Sedan.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM

"I wonder if there is a separate "amp on" wire for the back speakers. "

There is not.

As for your basic problem, you've tried everything I would have tried and more, so the only suggestion I would offer is to pull the stereo and amplifier out and take both of them to an audio technician who can bench test them together. Since you've already traced the wiring, give him the benefit of your work there to make his job a little easier. (Which connections are for which speakers, etc.)

If you ever sort this thing out, come back and post up your findings as others might be able to benefit.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Turns out every speaker I used to check the system was blown. The two in the car, my home speaker, and the speaker I picked up the other day. Found another and determined the speakers were blown.