Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Default Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems

Car drives okay on cold however after transmission warms up it stops shifting at all.

OBD Codes are:
P0700 - Powertrain Transmission Control System (Mil Request)
P0731 - Powertrain Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio
P0730 - Powertrain Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

Ordered Input Output speed sensors, will replace them first, what about torque converter clutch circuit how do i test that?

Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 AM

There are a few things you can do without extensive knowledge of transmissions and special tools and diagnostic equipment. Changing the input and output sensors are two of them. Replacing the fluid and filter are a couple others. Replacing the solenoid pack would be another.
If you don't know the history of the fluid replacement on your car, then by all means take care of that. Consult the owners manual for the proper fluid and use only what is recommended.
There is plenty of information on the web about solenoid pack replacement.
If the problem persists then you will probably need to get some professional help.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:03 PM

Most what i read for code P0740 suggest replacing clutch shift solenoid which is not a part of solenoid pack its cheaper i could try that first.

If that does not help would using used solenoid pack from junk yard okay?

Attached Thumbnails Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems-shift-solenoid.png  
Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 PM

Look for a solenoid pack on the web. They are not that expensive and it wouldn't make sense to not get a new one. Old ones tend to leak.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:57 PM

I am bit stranded on cash now, ordered solenoid block repair kit off eBay for $30

Forgot to mention when i switch between driving modes (Park Reverse Drive) car is shaking while switching does this indicate worn out transmission gears?

Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM

Probably not. More like a clutch problem.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 PM

I managed to get some CVI Codes (while i was in parking mode) if that means anything.
Code:
CVI Low/Reverse:50  (normal is 35-83)
CVI 2nd /4th :47 (normal is 20-77)
CVI Overdrive:109 (normal is 48-150)
CVI Underdrive:61 (normal is 24-70)

Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 PM

Changed speed sensors, filter as you can see its original chrysler, fluid was brown.
Magnet had some metal that was soft to touch and very few tiny pieces of metal size of sand that i feel.
Also output speed sensor had same stuff as magnet on it because it has magnet inside.

I put Wix filter and rubber gasket because i am going to run it and then swap filter again because new transmission fluid will wash all the dirt off and filter will grab it.

Whats that black stuff on the filter, why metal pieces on magnet and vss got soft?

Attached Thumbnails Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems-filter.jpg   Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems-magnet.jpg   Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems-oss.jpg  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 AM

The magnet is there to catch all those little bits of metal that would otherwise continue to circulate in the fluid and cause more wear. It's normal for the magnet to have a cluster of little metal grains after many years of operation.

When you drop the pan on the transmission only about 40% of the fluid drains out. You are right to expect that doing it again will result in getting more gunk out. If you cleaned off the magnet the first time, there shouldn't be much stuff on the magnet the second time.

Has the operation of the transmission improved?

Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM

I don't get it i did not reset computer however check engine went off but when i connected scanner it said not all self tests were completed (like after battery disconnected or computer reset) why would this happen?
Car drives fast speed shifting good, auto stick works, but this could been due to computer reset i guess i going to take it on a longer trip once i change coolant.

However there's still a noticeable shaking when switching driving modes, if i do fast from Park to Drive it does not feel going trough R and N and until D selected and there's sound like electric motor moving something in transmission.

I am going to change filter again and fluid but i want to give new ATF+4 fluid more time to clean transmission as it is a good detergent perhaps i change it after a 500 or so or if i start getting any troubles with transmission, i assume filter will catch any loose sludge.

Last edited by SebrigLA; 03-31-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Sebring 2001 Automatic Transmission Problems