Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring 2001 - Problems ABS and break lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Default Sebring 2001 - Problems ABS and break lights

Hello, I have an 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited 2.7L V6 with automatic transmission.
Recently, I have the ABS lights and parking brake that remain constantly lit after starting the car.
I travel about ten kilometers with the lights on until I cut the engine stopped the vehicle.
When I restart, the two LEDs light up with a beep then they turns off after 2 seconds.
I specify that the ABS works very well, the wheels do not lock when I press the pedal fully.
The brake fluid is filled to the level in the reservoir and purge was made by Chrysler. The master cylinder has been changed and a test to the diagnosis suitcase was made. No fault detected and no problem. 4 ABS sensors are functional.

I still have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:49 PM

These are two separate problems. The parking brake light is controlled by a limit switch at the hand brake. You need to check that out and adjust the switch or look for a short in the wiring circuit.

To test the function of the ABS, you need to do a hard brake application on a surface with poor traction. For such a test, wet leaves are good. Now that it's fall, there may be some opportunities. Icy and snowy streets will present opportunities if you live in the North. When the system is actually doing its job, you will feel a distinct vibration in the brake pedal and probably also hear a rattling noise corresponding to the vibration.

If the light for the ABS is on, there will be a numerical fault code stored in the computer. That fault code will guide a competent technician to the source of the problem and the repair.

If the light only comes on for the first start in the morning, leave the car overnight at the service facility and be there to start the car and show the technician the light in the morning. "Light on" = "fault code present". Don't take "we can't figure it out" for an answer and don't let them throw random parts and fixes at the car in hopes of chancing on a solution.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:20 PM

Hi, who can tell me where the ABS controller is located on a Chrysler Sebring 2.7 2001?
I found the PCM and TCM right next but not the ABS controller ?
Thank you.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM

It's located under the air cleaner. It's bolted to the lower radiator support. The hydraulic controller and electronic "brain" are integrated into the same unit. If you remove the air cleaner you'll see a device with several brake lines leading in to it. That's it.

There are certain required procedures necessary when servicing the unit. Try to get a shop manual before you disconnect or remove anything.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:11 AM

Hello, I found the ABS controller under the air cleaner.
Can I unplug it safely ?
If I disconnect the hydraulic controller, have I to do a brake purge ?
Can I replace a ABS controller by replacing the old one with a new one without reprogramming the PCM ?
Thanks

Old 11-15-2016, 02:56 PM

You can unplug it, but of course it will not work. If the light is still on, unplugging the controller will not fix the problem. There is no guarantee that replacing the control unit will fix the problem. There is a good chance that a problem exists at one of the wheel speed sensors. In that case, replacing the control unit will not help. Before replacing anything, get the fault codes read using a proper code reader with capabilities of reading ABS codes.
If the controller is replaced, the system MUST be properly bled. Bleeding the system properly requires bleeding both the ABS system as well as the regular brakes. The shop manual devotes several pages to the procedure and requires use of the Chrysler electronic scan tool to control the process. You are advised to not attempt this yourself unless you are trained on how to do it safely.
Reprogramming the PCM should not be necessary.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM

With the combination off,on,off,on,off,on with the Chrysler, I get no default code.
Unfortunately I do not have a suitable code reader with ABS read capabilities.
The wheel speed sensors are in good condition.
Actually, I could not change the regulator myself. I do not know how to do.
The Chrysler dealer found no fault code on the Chrysler code reader.
Thanks for your advice. I thought that reprogramming was not necessary.