Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Chrysler Sebring Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 02:04 PM
Exclamation 2002 Chrysler Sebring Hesitation

I have the 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with the 2.7 liter v6 with 63k miles on her. I have recently discovered that the PCV hose was cracked going from the valve cover to the intake manifold and replaced it. Also, the PCV valve was leaking oil and I replaced it as well. I have a feeling that the failed PCV system caused the intake manifold gaskets to fail because the car hesitates while accelerating, and there is a slight tick coming from the passenger side of the engine when the car is warmed up. Also, I don't know if this is normal but I can feel hot air coming from underneath the intake manifold. This only occurs on the side of the engine where the thermostat housing is which would be the left side of the engine when you open up the car and passenger side when are in the vehicle. I recently replaced the Map sensor and the car has not tripped a code yet. I am puzzled as to what is wrong with the vehicle. I did a scan for live data and found that the absolute manifold pressure at idle was 6 psi. I do not know if this is normal, but it could be a clue for what the issue is with the vehicle. One more thing, the vehicle sometimes has a rattle when cold starting but goes away as soon as it warms up. I thought that it could be some sort of exhaust leak. I would appreciate a response from someone who is knowledgeable about these vehicles. I am just lost and don't have very good mechanics near me.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 PM

I am not certain the intake is leaking unless a fastener is loose. The plenum gaskets and intake manifold gaskets fit into a groove and once in place are unlikely to push out. If there is a leak in the intake area it typically draws air in and would lean out. It could cause a stumble but may also set a dtc for a cylinder misfire.

6 psi of manifold pressure (actually vacuum) at idle is acceptable. Why did you replace the MAP sensor?

The rattle when starting may be one of the exhaust heat shields being loose. Where I am at, Chicago, they salt the roads and the shield disintegrates around the fastener.

Regarding the stumble, add a bottle of Techron (big bottle, 20 oz) at the next gas fill. Will do a good job removing any deposits in the fuel systems.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jon.litman
... which would be the left side of the engine when you open up the car and passenger side when are in the vehicle...
The passenger side is still the passenger side regardless of your position in relation to the vehicle. Lol.