Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

sebring gauge lights not working

Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Default sebring gauge lights not working

I have a 07 Sebring, the insturment cluster lights are not working. I have put in a new multi function switch. I cannot find a fuse that would help solve this problem. Any advice?
thanks in advance.
thom

Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Hi, there was a guy in western Canada ( Mr. Wizzard something) that fixed indigo dash lights in sebrings and many other brands. He turns them around same day he revives them. I can't find his info but he fixed mine very fast, a diode replacement if I remember.

Mike

Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 PM

I have same trouble with my Sebring 2007, called authorised service and they told it's well known issue with this kind of backlight, factory is not selling these luminous elements separately therefore they can replace whole dash, which is extremely expensive. I'm looking for any repair tips as mine is working fine most of the time, it goes out or flicker maybe once a week.

ddff_lv

Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Default Lights not working

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you figure something out

Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM

I did some research on this- Chrysler is using EL panels/strips called Indiglo. Most common problem is inverter from 12 vdc to approx 120 vac to power this EL. Here is similar story : New gauges, now installed!! - Stratusphere

I'm about to take apart my dashboard and check out the inverter and replacement options.

ddff

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Default I did some research on this- Chrysler is using EL panels/strips called Indiglo. Most

I had this problem....I'm from toronto ontario where my dealer told me to replace the whole cluster at a rate of $650....so i said the hell with you. I thought about putting some sort of led strip on the inside to help illuminate the cluster but that was a bad idea. So i thought about the indiglo gauge face cover that i once bought for my 96 monte carlo and how the chrysler sebring uses the same EL GLOW lighting. So came I came up with this idea...

If you buy and an inverter from ebay at a rate of 12 bucks or someting....unclip the el glow from the back ....also reminded to deactivate that same black clip (or desolder the feed coming in from the cluster to that black clip) that way you can solder your new inverter using that black clip.

Next step is to locate a 12 volt source from the cabin (which when you turn on your lights) the cluster turns on.

As I am writing this....Im at the last step of finding the 12 volt power supply.
The cluster has already been tested at a work bench and it works

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 AM

Well, this is my 'plan B' - to use external inverter from older car's instrument cluster. Finding 12V is the last problem in this case, more tricky is to be able adjust brightness between day and night using the original dimmer ****. It'll require a bit of CAN bus hacking and at least one custom built interface. Of course, you can still use the dimmer that comes with the inverter, but that's not the nicest way. So far I found this is cold solder under the bloody chip, but since I'm very old-school tech I don't have instruments and practice to solder QFN packages. I will bring the cluster to someone who can and give it a try. If not, I still got that plan B.

By the way - Rogers will send free samples of the chip anywhere on the planet, very kind people.

My full story of digging the dash is here:

AllparForums: Chrysler Sebring Ltd (Diesel) 2008 EL dashboard lighting failure - J: Avenger, 200, Sebring, Cirrus, Stratus, Breeze - Allpar, the Chrysler Car Community

ddff

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Default ddff_lv

I dont know why you shun me off so quick.....the idea works....and all i was trying to do is help the chrysler community.

I bought an aftermarket inverter from ebay $12 comes with voltage regulator but did not be use it

Removed the cluster from my 2007 chrysler sebring
-removed the many screws in the back of the cluster to access the circuitry
- unclipped the black plastic that was attaching the existing el glow film to the circuitry of the cluster
- desoder the leads from that black clip to the cluster circuitry ( the reason why i desoder is because the connection portion from the existing el glow is carbon and needs its existing housing to conduct the electricity needed so we will reuse it.
-solder your new inverter to the black clip
-put el glow lead back into the black clip

NOW TO POWER NEEDED

- Since you already have the center console out, you must locate a power supply
- the center clock has the power required
-there is a three prong power supply that connects to your center clock
-you need a volt meter to find the lead that powers to 12v when u turn your headlights on and turns to 0v when its off
from those three leads - ones is a constant 12v, one is the ground lead and the last one is the vairable power that you need
I did this so I could use the dimmer switch to activily dim the cluster glow

Enjoy

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Default joyryder

I never said it can't work, I just said I also have external inverter in case I fail to repair the original. I'm pretty impressed to hear external dimmer works fine with the clock backlight feed, as the original chip does that by changing pulse frequency to one of its pins. Could you post the mark/model of inverter you've used? Might be helpful to others as well.

ddff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sebring gauge lights not working