Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring multiple cylinder misfire fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Default Sebring multiple cylinder misfire fiasco

Hi,
I'm out of ideas with this one and don't have a lot of time to solve the problem so any suggestion is welcome. I'm not hugely mechanical in nature, but I can read a manual with the best of them.

Chrysler Sebring 2004,
2.7l engine
90,000km

Engine light came on some weeks ago, with a p0300. No additional codes so reset and tried to duplicate results. Couldn't do it, but next day dash lit up and car cut out in traffic. Took it to mechanic, who fixed a loose wire. Car ran again, but the next day the p0300 came back.

The car starts without a problem. In the time it takes to pull out of the driveway and on to the street, the problem starts. Engine will not accelerate, no matter how much pressure is on the pedal and I coast down the road at a mere 20kmh until it kicks in little by little . This lasts from 1 to 3 minutes typically and only after starting the car. It used to do it only once a day when I used the car for the first time that day and a few lucky days not at all, but now it happens fairly regularly whenever I start the car. It will not do it at all for my mechanic, but will do it for me while pulling out of the shop! Also, my gas mileage isn't as good as it had been and I'm highly suspicious of my fuel gauge which can be off by nearly a quarter of a tank at times.

My mechanic says it's electrical and think's it's in some way related to the loose wire that caused the problems only a day after the engine light came on. They think that replacing the fuse box is the way to go, but they can't positively guarantee this and do not want to do any work on it until they can get some definite answers that it will solve the problem. Unfortunately, they're not set up to get those answers and want to refer me to a guy with a scope and a long waiting list. Next Sunday, I will be moving to a town about 4 hour away to become a starving student, so time and money is very much an issue.

I tried to call for a second opinion from another shop. I got as far as:
"Hi, I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring..."
"Oh God!" I hear from the other end of the phone.
Apparently this mechanic was recently traumatized by an electrical fault in a Sebring for a month before giving up on it and was not inclined to predict anything good.

What can I do to help my mechanic figure this out? They can't even replicate the problem to know what to look for at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

When's the last time you changed spark plugs? Might help, can't hurt. Shouldn't cost much, you can do it yourself.
Serch the forum here for some tips.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:40 PM

I have the same problem ok this is what I came up with . The code came map sensore, before that I replaced all spark plugs , then changed the MAP sensor it fixed it for about a week and only had some miss fire once in awhile Now I took car on a 200 mile trip and it got worse almost couldn't keep it running on the way back expecialy at slow crawl ! Now engine light is on and code is # 1 piston misfire and airflow in intake no pressure! Can somebody help me please I'm almost out of options

Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Default diagnose misfire

I am going through something similar, get on the internet or get Haynes Sebring book and look for and follow instructions for trouble shooting a misfire. it goes roughly like this: After checking the preliminaries you check the coil to see if it is working, get a spark checker and you may need a old spark plug wire (a good one) to make all the connections. crank the engine and see if the checker flashes; if it doesn't your coil for that plug ins't firing and you got a no spark condition. Check for electrical signal into the coil, the coil won't work without input...if you got no input the problem is in the wiring or the ignition brain. repair as necessary and re-test. Still got that misfire? Now check for electrical signal at the fuel injector, then check function of the injector (does it spray fuel?) follow instructions carefully as this is all dealing with GASOLINE! (FIRE!) follow the instructions you found in the books or on the internet. You'll need a test light and/or a multimeter and a helper. If that checks out good you have to do a compression check, follow those instructions, you may have to pull the ASD relay; I called the dealer parts counter to locate the exact relay because the info wasn't in the Owner's manual, the Chrysler service manual or the Haynes.
You might check the fuel filter... when was it last changed? If you don't know it's now time to change it. Is the fuel pump in good working order? There is a test for that too or you can just change it.
Misfires are caused by (usually) 3 things, no spark, no fuel, no compression. Chances are good your compression is OK so that leaves fuel and spark. The plugs could be grounded out because the spark plug tube they reside in has a seal (to keep oil out) that has failed. At least on my 3.5... the plugs go through the valve cover....if your plugs look good they usually are good, soaked in oil isn't good, that's shorted out.

Last edited by dna9656; 12-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.