Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring Surging and Stalling but running perfect

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Default Sebring Surging and Stalling but running perfect

I have an 08 Sebring, runs like a champ no missing, nice idle ~700rpm, plenty of power, getting good gas mileage.

Randomly when approaching stop sign or light, while applying brake the car will surge ahead, without noticing any major change in RPM (cause it scares the crap out of you and you have to really hit the brakes). At other random times the car will just stall typically while going at some slow idle or just over idle speed. One time it stalled 4 times going across a parking lot, then it might not do it for a couple of days. May or may not be related, the car went through a set of brakes in 4 months. Replaced everything on them, calipers, rotors, pads, ect. There is also an occasional clunking noise that comes from the front end, haven't found where from but possibly the transmission.

The Throttle Position Sensor has been replaced. The intake Manifold has been replaced. Dealer wants to replace the computer although they can't guarantee that it will fix the issue and at $1100 installed it is a chance I am not sure I want to take.

I have read people talking about EGR valve (not sure if this has one yet), although they describe their problem including a rough idle. I have also seen people talking about the Speed Sensor in the transmission although I haven't seen anyone that said whether or not it worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Do you drive with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Do you drive with your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas?
One foot only, driven the same way for years and now this.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 AM

I asked because you described the brakes being in need of total replacement. There are people who brake with the left foot who ride it constantly to regulate speed while pressing on the gas all the time.
Anyway, that's not helpful here. That "clunk" you described might be a loose engine mount. It's not impossible that if the engine is moving around excessively, the throttle cable could be affected. It's worth checking.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM

I had a similar problem years ago with a GM car. It would surge and stall out when I put on the brakes. It turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.

John

Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Wagner had a run of warped rotors. Tell me HOW do you get warped rotors when you have to machine the thong after it's cast...negligence, pure negligence. So I now do not EVER purchase or pay for a rotor from Wagner. 2 sets from Auto Zone, the one I paid for and the replacement set (under warranty) they provided. I turned the 2nd set at their expense. Still on the car.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Default Stumbling

Did you get any resolution? Fixed? If so what was the magic potion?

Originally Posted by Stupidav
I have an 08 Sebring, runs like a champ no missing, nice idle ~700rpm, plenty of power, getting good gas mileage.

Randomly when approaching stop sign or light, while applying brake the car will surge ahead, without noticing any major change in RPM (cause it scares the crap out of you and you have to really hit the brakes). At other random times the car will just stall typically while going at some slow idle or just over idle speed. One time it stalled 4 times going across a parking lot, then it might not do it for a couple of days. May or may not be related, the car went through a set of brakes in 4 months. Replaced everything on them, calipers, rotors, pads, ect. There is also an occasional clunking noise that comes from the front end, haven't found where from but possibly the transmission.

The Throttle Position Sensor has been replaced. The intake Manifold has been replaced. Dealer wants to replace the computer although they can't guarantee that it will fix the issue and at $1100 installed it is a chance I am not sure I want to take.

I have read people talking about EGR valve (not sure if this has one yet), although they describe their problem including a rough idle. I have also seen people talking about the Speed Sensor in the transmission although I haven't seen anyone that said whether or not it worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!