Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Starter/fuse - how dangerous is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Default Starter/fuse - how dangerous is this?

Hello everyone,

I recently inherited a 2006 Sebring with the 2.4 ltr motor in it, 62,000KM. Seemed great to have a newer car at first, but now things are going a little sideways. It started with the car not starting, and I was able to trace this to a blown fuse #8 for the starter/fuel pump (apparently this is a common issue with this car). Replacing the fuse got it running again right away.

Now, the problem has come back a couple weeks later, and now I replace the fuse and it blows as soon as I try and start the car. After some searching it sounds like the starter needs to be replaced, as the solenoid is drawing to much current at starting. Why is the starter so poorly placed in this car? But I digress.

Anyway, since the 20amp fuse blows every time I try and start the car, is it safe to replace the fuse with a 30amp and hope it starts to get it to the shop? The shop is about 3 minutes away. I was also supposed to drive up island this weekend (2.5 hrs highway driving). How much does the fuel pump draw? It can't be as much as the starter? Would it be safe to drive with a 30amp fuse that far, or would it start a fire? I realize the 30amp fuse is not a long term solution, I'm just wondering what my options are.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 PM

Nobody is going to recommend putting a larger fuse in. I would recommend this, if you are going to persist:

1. Make sure your insurance is paid up and that you have comprehensive coverage.

2. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 AM

Thanks. I didn't really see this as a solution, but was hoping it would at least get to the shop. I would also imagine that it wouldn't matter if I had full comprehensive, if ICBC found the wrong fuse in the wrong spot they wouldn't pay anyway.

Anyone have any last ditch suggestions on what the issue may be?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Since it's narrowed down to one fuse, there are a limited number of possibilities. It'll be either the components on the circuit or the wiring that connects them.
Try disconnecting the components one by one to see if you can narrow it down. You can check the wiring with a multimeter. This stuff isn't rocket science. It just takes a logical approach and patience. You can pay somebody a hundred bucks an hour or you can try it yourself.

If you try it yourself and still can't find the problem, when you hire somebody, tell him exactly what you did to search for the problem. It may help him narrow the search and may save some time and money if he can avoid duplicating what you already looked at.