Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Default Starting problem

My 2001 Sebring convertible LX 2.7 is having a starting problem. The starter when the engine warmed up it would not turn over. I had a starter shop check resistance, etc. and said it was good. They also checked the battery and charging system and all were good. The tech did say that the starter sounded like it was dragging even though it checked good. The next day the starter wouldn't turn over. The roadside mechanic hammered on the starter and it started. I ordered a starter from Autozone. Only one they had was a Duralast remanufactured. I installed it and I heard a click and then the starter worked.I shut it off and each time after the solenoid would click in but not turn the starter over. Waited couple of minutes and the starter clicked and started. Again the more I shut off the engine and restarted it the solenoid would click more and start less. The clip that kept the spade connector wire on the starter had broken so we taped the connector so it would hold. The starter worked better, but did the same thing. The battery stays up about 12.65 volts. Anything that cause this problem? Thank you as always! By the way the car has 134,000 miles.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM

"The clip that kept the spade connector wire on the starter had broken so we taped the connector so it would hold."

Not sure what that's all about but it would probably be worth the effort to examine all those connectors and make sure they are clean and tight, free of oil, dirt, grease and corrosion. Replace any connectors that need it.