Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Timing Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Angry Timing Tensioner

Can the timing tensioner on a '02 Sebring 2.7L cause the car to stop running, not start but yet have good compression? I'm getting around 180 on each cylinder and fuel pressure is around 60... When I turn it over it acts like it wants to start but when I tried it the other day it fired and then seemed to exhaust out the air intake.

I'm close to giving up on this car completely and ive never done that with a car before. So its really starting to bug me that I can get it running.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM

Any codes? You should always begin by checking for codes. Try the "Key Dance": ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. If codes are present they'll show up in the odometer space.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 PM

Thank you for the response. The only code I have is P1684 which I believe is because the battery has been disconnected a few times. I'm not the first person to work on this car so I don't know if there were any code before I started working on it.

I just went out to check again on the codes and thought id see what it would do if I tried to start it again. It did the same thing as before with it fired and seemed to exhaust through the air intake. but after that now it just turns over but doesn't seem to be be doing anything other than turning over.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:51 AM

Most electrical problems will generate a fault code in the computer. Not sure if it can detect a slight mis-timing of the cams but if you've got good compression, it can't be off very much. Could be that the computer is kaput, but replacing that would run about $200 for a re-manufactured unit with no guarantee of solving the problem.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM

Yeah, we got ahold of someone that we know who was able to get me a PCM and have it reprogrammed for my car... Put it in and am having exactly the same issue. However the only difference now is that I am also getting code P1193. I'm trying to find what this actually means but when I do a google search I'm seeing that there could be multiple reasons for that code, so I'm not sure what to think there. I believe in a little while I might go back out and try doing another compression test and see id there is any change since I have been playing around with it so much lately.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM

Just did another compression test and I got 185 - 190 on all of the cylinders. which makes me think its not timing... And this is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyways... When I was taking the plugs out I noticed that quite a few of them were black around the electrode, could it just be that simple that I had a few spark plugs go bad at once and make it stop running? I maybe be just over thinking all of this...

Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

1193 is the air intake temp sensor high or unpluged

Old 10-14-2016, 11:51 PM

Sadly not what I was hoping to hear lol, I'm assuming that isn't something that would cause the car to have the problems I'm having... I don't know if I'll get a chance to do anything with it tomorrow but I guess Monday it'll be back to pulling my hair out ...

Thank you for the help you have given me so far...

Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 AM

If the timing chain jumped a tooth it would probably be enough where the car wouldn't start but not enough to necessarily affect the compression. If you have eliminated all other causes the only thing left to do is remove the valve covers and check the timing marks on the cam sprockets and timing chain. The timing chain has different color timing links so it will be obvious if it's off.

John

Old 10-15-2016, 06:07 PM

That's good information to know... The last 2 vehicles I did any timing of were a 68 ford pickup with a 360 in it and a 86 iron with a 305 lol and that was a long time ago. So that info you gave me there is very much appreciated, I will most likely be taking things apart Monday and checking for those marks. Thank you again, I will update when I know more of what's happening...

Quick Reply: Timing Tensioner