Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Water Outlet Housing on 2002 Sebring Convertible???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
Default Water Outlet Housing on 2002 Sebring Convertible???

Recently, my 02 Sebring Convertible 2.7L started overheating. When I looked under the hood, I found that the seal on the Water Outlet Housing came loose. One repair shop at first told me that "well, that's a common thing, we have BOXES of those parts here, it's not a big deal to fix." but when I called the next day, another mechanic st the same shop told me that the repair would cost almost $400 because they would have to take the intake manifold off to replace it. My question is this, can I just seal it back down with some sort of sealer? Will that work? The mechanic told me that I couldn't, but the 1st mechanic said that I might be able to. I'm taking it on a trip this Thursday and I don't want to break down. Also, could this also cause A/C problems? My A/C seems to leak all freon out within a couple of days and now I can only get it to work while on 4??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I posted this in the General Help forum as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Water Outlet Housing on 2002 Sebring Convertible???

It's very doubtful that the coolant leak is related to the A/C leak. They are separate systems that don't intersect. The A/C leak could be anywhere in the system, you need to hunt it down.
If your blower operates only on the highest speed, it's probably a burned out resistor. That's a fairly easy repair. The resistor block is accessible from the passenger compartment on the right side under the glove box area.
Unfortunately, when you buy a replacement now, it will probably be fatter than the original, so you'll need to enlarge the hole the old one came out of. It's not too difficult and requires a few minutes of careful work with a rat-tail file.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM

OK... I have the same car and motor.... Just rebuilt the motor myself. If you are in front of the car, on the left, just below the Alt. is the thermostat housing, is it leaking from there, or is it leaking from the top of the motor where the hose connects? Either or, you do not have to remove the intake for either of these. If it is the water pump itself (internal) it would leak into the oil pan causing the oil to be "milky." Reason I ask on the other, you may need a new thermostat which may have caused pressure to build, hence the leak at the top. Either way, $400.... Don't think so... $14.99 at advanced auto for gasket (Part Number: 25293), or you can go to chrysler direct.... very easy to change yourself. Main thing to remember, need to bleed the air out the valve on top (a few times)when putting coolant back in... you won't lose much.
As for the a/c... More than likely, you will need a new compressor (look for leakson the a/c housing behind the pulley). I am in the same boat with a/c leaking... about $800 on up if you don't know someone. As for the a/c on 4... I think dcotter0579 covered that. Hope this helps... maybe late, but some input... Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

i have a 2001 sebring that has beenoverheating and leaking from the thermostat housing, i have been looking for a few months now trying to source the part i need, the localamerican cargarage and local Chrysler dealer havent been able toidentify the part i need. There appears to be air in the system but the bleed valve wont unscrew to release the air.
Do i need a new thermostat or just the housing ? Does anyone know what part numbers i should quote.

My cars been off the road for 9 months now and im dying to get it going again.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

its called a bleeder block housing not thermostat housing and the dealer should know what it is they leak all the time.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 PM

its right here

http://performancedodge.stores.yahoo...ostsewaou.html

mt dealer said it costs 120$, i brought him a printout of this page and he knocked it down to 97$

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM

maybe i can help also u can get a better deal for it at rockauto part # 902302 for 50 dollars and change. Maybe that'll help.