Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

01 2.7 3.2 conversion HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Default 01 2.7 3.2 conversion HELP!!!

ok so i am new to this forum but have a very unique problem. the only part thats not unique is that i baught an 01 sebring with a blown 2.7. what is unique is that i was doing some research only about doin a conversion prior to buying the car. i read one site where you have to pay to get questins answer from a mechanic and he gave all the details to do a conversion, then i surfed more and found more ppl doing the conversions so i baught the car and found a good 3.2 and baught it as well, well heres where it get entertaining, i live in seattle wa, motor in canada 7.5 hours away i decide to leave at midnight and drive all the way up grab the motor and be back before evening traffic, so with 8 cups of coffee and 6 energy drinks i made the treck and while i was gettting the motor the junk yard was saying that alot of ppl do the conversion too. well when i got home i looked at the car and my new $1000 motor, nothing was in the right spots... the 3.2 is huge compared... huh let me find more info out. hoped on line found that post and all the others, well first thing i noticed was there was a retraction statement later on it the posting that the mechanic didnt noticed what car he was referring to and that the 3.2 wont fit due to wiring and compartment... SH%$ looked at the others, well sebring was mentioned in the other posts but not as the vehicle being swapped they were concords F%^&. so now i have a great motor that i drove to another country to get and a car it wont fit in... or so i hope not

My question is, is there ANY ANY way i can get this to go in, i can splice wires ect, fab so bracket if necessary, dont need ac its a convertable, so any ideas for the dumb man

car 500
motor 1000
900 mile trip to another country $180 in gas
energy drinks ect. 35
an entire day wasted 400
learning to fully read EVERYTHING
NOT WORTH IT!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 AM

If people can put a Viper engine in a PT Cruiser, then somebody can put that 3.2 into a Sebring. The issue is not "can it be done?", the issue is "Can it be done at reasonable cost?" You have obviously arrived at the reasonable conclusion that the answer to that question is a resounding "No."
Time to lick your wounds and cut your losses. List the engine for sale on eBay and start over.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I always thought that the 3.2 was similar to the 2.7. I would put the two engines next to each other and strip all the accessories and brackets off and check for any similarities. I would think the trans bolt pattern would be the same. There is at least on person that installed a 3.5 in place of the 2.7 and it even has a manual trans.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Default why didnt you come on this forum and ask first?

Seems to me the net is loaded with bogus info. Had you came on here and posted before you spent all this money a couple of very well to do chrysler mechanics on the board could of saved you a lot of money. I would do what cotter said and just sell the engine and consider it a loss. Maybe the junkyard you got it from will trade that engine for one that will fit?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Junkyards all over the US are currently butt raping people on used 2.7L engines. Unfortunately that is what you will need to have. Sell the engine you bought...sell the car....get something else (without a 2.7)

Then you can resume your once happy life

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I like my 2.7 =) 199k on it no sludge just replaced the chain and pump a few weeks ago

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 AM

whats the easiest way to remove the motor

Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

unbolt everything and take it out

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM

It's a simple 2-step process:

Step 1: Buy a shop manual for the car.

Step 2: Follow the instructions in the shop manual for removing the engine.

P.S. It's called an engine. Motors are electric and outboard.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM

u so funny. not, how about some real answers not some smart a.. remarks. seriously would it be easier to tear the axles apart and lift out the top or drop the subframe with everything attached

Quick Reply: 01 2.7 3.2 conversion HELP!!!