Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Default White Smoke

White Smoke Hi there, I have got a Chrysler Sebring 2002 2.7LV6- the car does some white smoke when I am driving in a traffic jam,

The thing is that the coolant level is stable, the car is only taking up some oil.

I doubt if it could be the oil pump or water pump. I changed the PVC valve today but did not drive much with it... It stopped the smoke but restarted again to smoke.

Any ideas as to what it can be... Please help - Im going mad in trying to find the root cause....

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Smoke does not result from loss of coolant. That is steam, not smoke. Where is the "smoke" coming from, tailpipe, engine compartment?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM

It is coming from the tailpipe...the coolant level is always constant - it is only taking some oil. - it "smokes" on the start up of the car or if I press on the gas when the car is on idle.

Do you think it is "steam"?

Thank you..

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I think you may have a blown head gasket. Have the compression checked.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM

If it had been a blown head gasket - I think that the temperature of the engine would have been really high or the car would stall on start up which is not my case or even the pistons would have been colliding...please let me know if i'm wrong.

It's my third Chrysler - had 2 cirrus previously... never had this kind of situation - please help...!!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 PM

Burning oil = blue smoke.

Burning too much fuel = black smoke.

"white smoke", on start-up = classical case of water getting in to the combustion chamber from a problem with a head gasket.

No point in speculating and arguing about it when you can answer the question with a compression test.

Never having the problem before does not prove you don't have the problem now.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Default White Smoke

If it had been a offered go gasket - I think that the heat range of the website would have been really great or the car would booth on begin up which is not my situation or even the aide would have been colliding...please let me know if i'm incorrect.

Buy social bookmarks and directory submissions

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Q: Why is a mouse when it spins?

A: The higher the fewer.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 AM

Its wonderful..really your thread is really very good and I appreciate it. You gave so nice info which is very well and amazing. I really impressed by your thread.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Burning oil = blue smoke.

Burning too much fuel = black smoke.

"white smoke", on start-up = classical case of water getting in to the combustion chamber from a problem with a head gasket.

No point in speculating and arguing about it when you can answer the question with a compression test.

Never having the problem before does not prove you don't have the problem now.

What he said. plain and simple

Quick Reply: White Smoke