Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Why oh why - battery question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Default Why oh why - battery question

Why did Chrysler make it so hard to switch out a 2001 Sebring battery? The local Walmart guys could not do a routine battery installation thanks, oh thanks to German engineering making it only possibile with a special tool.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Default RE: Why oh why - battery question

It's not that hard...it took me 15 minutes using my friend's lift Forget the battery location, how about doing sparkplugs and distributor cap (yes, they have one) on a 2000 sebring/stratus/breeze 2.5l v6? Trust me, jacking up the car and pulling the driver's side tire is much quicker, and less painful

Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

The battery lasts longer if away from heat in the fender well it provides good cooling the new 300s are in the trunk.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM

You gotta be kidding about the special tool. You jack up the car, take off the wheel and the battery shield comes off with a screwdriver. Simple sockets then are necessary to remove the hold-down and disconnect the cables from the side terminals.
The owners manual claims it can be done without removing the wheel, just turn the front wheels fully to the right, but I think it's easier to get the wheel out of the way by removing it.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info folks. I called the Chrysler dealer and they want a whopping $182.00 to replace the battery. I dont think so.

Now that I know the battery is accessible by either turning the tire or taking it off perhaps I can get it done without giving up an arm and leg.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:41 AM

My battery was around $90 from Advance Auto, and it took 15 minutes to change it out and drive away. Easy to do, jus not anything that a parts store want to do in the parking lot. Worst part should be putting the car on a jackstand and pulling the tire. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: mrrbby

My battery was around $90 from Advance Auto, and it took 15 minutes to change it out and drive away. Easy to do, jus not anything that a parts store want to do in the parking lot. Worst part should be putting the car on a jackstand and pulling the tire. Good luck.
OEM base rims on the Sebrings are 15", but there are a number of upgrade packages that offered 16" rims. The 15's might be far enough out of the way. My 99 has the 16" rims and I'm a fairly large individual. When I changed the battery out, I didn't even think twice about it. Just set it up on a jackstand, pulled the wheel, a few screws and made the swap. It takes longer to think about the specific steps than it does to actually do it.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: bandaide

It takes longer to think about the specific steps than it does to actually do it.
no kidding.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I changed mine without removing the wheel (It wasn't a convenient place to do that). I just turned it all the way to the left and I was able to replace it without much difficulty. I may have used a stubby screwdriver I guess, but it didn't take very long. Removing the wheel would definately be easier, but it's not necessary.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 AM

first off all, you shouldn't get your car serviced where you buy your groceries. The battery is a little more difficult than older cars but is fairly simple itself. If they said they couldn't do it, its because they didnt want to. my neighbor had a battery installed at wal mart and his truck burnt to the ground over night. I also installed a k+n air filter in my gmas ride and she got her oil changed there. They told her the filter was dirty and needed a new one, they replaced a $50 dollar cleanable filter with a $13 disposable. I dont even shop there.