Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Are 300 lemon cars? need to know

Old 03-26-2016, 01:41 AM
Default Are 300 lemon cars? need to know

Here's some back story.

I just lost thousands because i bought a 99 deville limo with northstar motor and 32k miles.. motor started overheating, you know.. northstar., motor costs alot, hard to put in etc, i wrote it off as a loss on taxes and traded it for some labor.

So now I am thinking of trading my 2007 escalade esv for a 2007 chrysler 300 140" limo with only 100k miles.

I started doing research and it seems like you can get a motor for it for $1000-$2000 if every it blew, so thats good and cheap.

but i'm also reading that they like to: overheat, shut off randomly, and have electrical problems..

i kind of promised myself not to buy any more chrysler products after buying 2 96 caravans(stay away from those!!)

so now im double guessing myself.

i dont wanna give up my escalade for some lemon bull****, cuz i know my escalade is a1.

however i could make ALOT more money on that limo.

TLDR VERSION: if i buy chrysler 300, will i be regretting it?

Old 03-26-2016, 01:43 AM

basically i'm also asking: if it were to start shutting off randomly, having issues or whatnot, will it cost me an arm and a leg to fix? im ok with spending $500 here $500 there to fix minor stuff, i just dont want another 7,000$ northstar motor that costs $3k to replace type of deal

Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 AM

i can't honestly answer your question other than to say, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Inherently, the Chrysler will cost you a LOST less money to maintain compared to that Caddy IMO. Just the nature of the beast.

I will tell you that in 2008 I bought my wife a brand new escalade with 13 miles on it. The only thing it did correctly was "ride like a cadillac". That was the biggest POS and sorriest excuse for a luxury vehicle I've ever encountered. Literally hundreds of miles out of warranty that thing fell to pieces and every damn thing on it cost a ton to repair. The rear hatch motor for example; $1000 for the motor, $975 for labor to replace it. And of course it's not something you can replace yourself because it then has to be calibrated within the computer to open and close correctly. A couple of thousand miles later, air suspension! $1900 later and back on the road again. A couple of thousand miles later, rear A/C goes out, another $1700 down the toilet. And then the icing on the cake was the transmission. $5400 to replace the damn transmission!

My wife loved that vehicle, and I liked the ride itself but never again will anyone ever convince me to buy something like that. I'll stick to ordinary vehicles and away from Cadillac for sure.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Default check mileage of vehicles for sale.

go to some on line national car sale sights like cars.com. enter the year range you are looking at and then search high mileage to low. If you don't see many examples with high mileage and its an older car stay away. if there are plenty of examples then consider. Or search craigs list and see what has been done to the cars of that generation or years.

If all of them had a new transmission done around 120K then figure your transmission will go out at 120K.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM
pcc

I've had two 300's and both of mine were good cars.

1st was a 2007 300 with 5.7, used as a company car. It had just over 200,000 miles on it before I started having minor issues with the age & mileage. I don't want to be stranded 300 miles away from home so as soon as a car starts having problems it's gone.

2nd was a 2006 300 srt8 had 164,000 miles on it when an idiot ran a stop sign and totaled it, never had the 1st problem out of it. I'll probably pick up another 300 srt8 when my daughter gets out of college, man I really liked that car.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by pcc
I've had two 300's and both of mine were good cars.

1st was a 2007 300 with 5.7, used as a company car. It had just over 200,000 miles on it before I started having minor issues with the age & mileage. I don't want to be stranded 300 miles away from home so as soon as a car starts having problems it's gone.

2nd was a 2006 300 srt8 had 164,000 miles on it when an idiot ran a stop sign and totaled it, never had the 1st problem out of it. I'll probably pick up another 300 srt8 when my daughter gets out of college, man I really liked that car.
I've been a truck person all my life. Bought this 300s to "see" if I would like being in a car vs a truck. I miss my truck sometimes but man I love this car. I can't wait for the hellcat version of the 300, I'll be all over it if it ever gets into production.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM
pcc

Yeah man those new 300's are nice, it was down to 2013 300 or another truck when I replaced the srt8 last year. Ended up with another truck since if I got the 300 it would have been appropriated by my wife and or daughter. Funny how on days I didn't have plans to visit customers my car was always gone.

I didn't know they had a 300 hellcat planned. I'll have to check that out.

Saw a hellcat charger at the gym last week, 1st charger hellcat I've seen in person, that thing looked great. If the gun world goes crazy again and my evil black rifles triple or quadruple in value I may have to sell a few and get one.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:57 PM

I bought a 2011 300 limited love it. I just got done replacing the alternator that just quit and had all kinds of errors and shutdowns happening. replaced it and battry light was coming on, when i checked the connections i forgot to push down the red saftey on the alternator connector. all is good but the 190 volt alternator is about 500 bucks. other thn that its been great, I had an intrepid before that so I'm a dodge Chrysler kinda guy. my son still drives the intrepid. Lots of accessories on the higher end 300's but they do sell a super duty battery I recommend, as well as the high output alternator

Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 AM

My 1006 GV diesel
has had issues since purchase, but it was all down to neglect by the previous owner, e.g. not changing the HOAT antifreeze/anticorrosive on time. I rate the GV as a reliable car otherwise at 110,000mile on the clock. For such a heavy car, it certainly goes ok when you put your boot down.

I've spoken to a few 300C owners, and none of them mentioned trouble. In Leeds there is a "fake Bentley" running around with all the mods., grill, "B" on every wheel centre, front and back logos and such. It certainly looks the business.

In contrast, I've had two Jags. and I can't honestly say they were reliable.

Leedsman.