Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

i need a pros advise 99 300m 3.5l

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Exclamation i need a pros advise 99 300m 3.5l

so my father purchased a 99 chrysler 300m yesterday for about $400, he was told that it need either a fuel pump or timing chain(in this case timing belt).
i had the car towed to my warehouse.(im not a pro mechanic but i manage fine)first i checked the fuel rail, there is plenty of fuel getting to the rail, so the i put my stethoscope to the timing cover and listened as i had someone try to start the car. there was a lot of noise inside.also the hose on top of the intake above throttle blew off and steam came from it and the end of the air box. i then removed the timing cover to find a mess. the tensioner pulley was mangled,its bearings everywhere part of the belt was melted to the pulley and the water pump looked to be corroded all over, i removed it all cleaned it real good and went to purchase a new water pump timing belt and tensioner/idler pulley. set the crank to top dead center and both cams at their timing mark, installed the belt and tried to start it and still nothing, i left the cover off. all parts spin but it seemed as it turned to freely, as if nothing inside the motor was moving so i removed the number 6 coil pack and spark plug and stuck a screw driver in the shaft and had someone try to start in. each time it cranked the screw driver moved up and down. so i dont believe its the crankshaft..i then replaced the crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor with new parts still nothing 1ST Question HOW DO I CHECK TO SEE BOTH PARTS ARE GETTING THE CORRECT VOLTAGE AND GROUND?.... i then swapped all coil packs. took number 1 out to check for spark and it was getting a spark.like i mentioned b4 Im no professional I need help now also I forgot to mention i tried to hook up my obd2 scanner and got NOTHING it didn't even come on works on other cars. its as if the connector isn't getting a signal, any-who i turned the key 3 times for the on board code reader and the only code i got was p1684 which is battery disconnected.. NEXT Question WHAT SHOULD I CHECK NEXT im guess maybe the air intake or throttle area but i wouldn't know where to start PLEASE help.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 AM

Compression test will reveal that the valves are bent. The 3.5 is an interference engine and when the belt breaks or goes out of time more than a few teeth the pistons hit the valves and bend them.
The "key dance" to get the codes tells you that the PCM is getting at least powered up from the key. As far as your scanner not reading, could be a wiring issue to the connector.
Loads of great information available at www.300mclub.org specific to your car.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Default thanks

thanks for taking the time out to reply i really appreciate it