Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2009 ASPEN EVIC dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Default 2009 ASPEN EVIC dead

I purchased my 2009 Aspen Limited 4WD, w/ HEMI about 2 weeks ago. Four days after I purchased it there was a big rain. The next morning the Instrument Cluster was freaking out as if I were turning the key to off and on position repeatedly, all instruments would go dead and then come back on with a ding. The blinkers would quit working when the cluster was dead.

I became intimately familiar with this forum and have seen the issues people have posted about leaks. However, everything seemed dry.

When I drove home that evening everything seemed fine. I then noticed the next morning that the EVIC (the computer above the console) was dead. Also, when I push AUTO on the Heat / A/C it instantly goes back to manual. I need to turn the fan on manually and need to turn the thermostat all the way to Lo or High to get good heat or A/C. Both worked when I purchased the vehicle. I also put 300 miles on the Aspen in the 2 days after I purchased it as I bought the vehicle in Eastern WA so, I spent a lot of time getting familiar with the EVIC and used the A/C on auto extensively.

I also read somewhere that the problem may be a leak near the Sat antenna, but I don't see an issue there either. It seems solidly connected and it doesn't appear to be leaking.

Any ideas? I don't want to pay a bunch to have this fixed, and then have it rain again and short something else out.

I really love my Aspen but if it can't go in the rain... I live in Seattle, this relationship won't last long.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Sorry for you troubles. I haven't experienced anything like this but have you thought about taking it somewhere just to have them look over the connections? It would seem wise to me to get it diagnosed properly.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by bvelkinb
I purchased my 2009 Aspen Limited 4WD, w/ HEMI about 2 weeks ago. Four days after I purchased it there was a big rain. The next morning the Instrument Cluster was freaking out as if I were turning the key to off and on position repeatedly, all instruments would go dead and then come back on with a ding. The blinkers would quit working when the cluster was dead.

I became intimately familiar with this forum and have seen the issues people have posted about leaks. However, everything seemed dry.

When I drove home that evening everything seemed fine. I then noticed the next morning that the EVIC (the computer above the console) was dead. Also, when I push AUTO on the Heat / A/C it instantly goes back to manual. I need to turn the fan on manually and need to turn the thermostat all the way to Lo or High to get good heat or A/C. Both worked when I purchased the vehicle. I also put 300 miles on the Aspen in the 2 days after I purchased it as I bought the vehicle in Eastern WA so, I spent a lot of time getting familiar with the EVIC and used the A/C on auto extensively.

I also read somewhere that the problem may be a leak near the Sat antenna, but I don't see an issue there either. It seems solidly connected and it doesn't appear to be leaking.

Any ideas? I don't want to pay a bunch to have this fixed, and then have it rain again and short something else out.

I really love my Aspen but if it can't go in the rain... I live in Seattle, this relationship won't last long.
Check the fuse panel near the left drivers foot kick panel. Pull the cover off and look for water.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Default evic dead

I also had my 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid EVIC go dead. I ended up going to an auto glass shop and they found the sunroof passenger side drain tube was plugged. It looks like the rain puddled and then overflowed into the overhead console.

Does anyone know how to replace the EVIC / remove the overhead console ?