Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Gas overflow at fillup

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

what's up people, we own a 07 Aspen and it to burps gas out during fill ups all the time, let me be clear with the term all the time; at every pump, at every gas station no matter what the percentage of grade the property is sitting on, any time of day/night, any day of the week, it burps at every fill up. We have the it pretty narrowed down on how much to pump to where it will not cause it to burp, as long as we don't let the auto shut off it will not burp.
It all started about a year ago about two weeks before the mysterious "gas cap" message appeared so I bought a new one from the dealer and about two weeks later the message still hadn't cleared and the check engine light lit up and has been there ever since along with the burping.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM

My 2007 does it ALL the time as well. I purchased the vehicle new so I have the lifetime powertrain warranty. The dealer told me that Chrysler would not cover it under the powertrain or emissions warranty that are technically still in effect. This is a serious and dangerous problem. When mine "burps" it shoots fuel all over the place. Even if I'm extremely dilligent in slowing the flow as it get to full it will still burp some fuel out. I intend to keep the vehicle for awhile but I am not going to eat the cost of a new fuel tank. My plan at this point is to be a pain in the rear with Chrysler customer service and to file a safety complaint on the NHTSA website. I work in the field of vehicle defect investigations for a large insurance company. It has been my experience that the NHTSA takes complaints such as this fairly seriously. Their are quite a few of these already reported and if their are enough complaints filed it is quite possible they will force Chrysler to issue a recall.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Doesnt ANYONE pay ATTENTION???? 3 pages of worthless babble on this subject, when the answer was given within the first few posts???
The dealer told me that Chrysler would not cover it under the powertrain or emissions warranty that are technically still in effect.
That may very well be true, but this is not a powertrain or emissions related repair. Powertrain covers internal engine transmission and driveline components, while emissions covers catalyst, PCM and compliant software, and in some instances EGR system. Emissions warranty is mandated by the federal government to be a minimum of 8 years or 80k.

Now, having said that, As a vehicle owner, It is YOUR responsibility to maintain your vehicle from defects , beyond the Basic warranty period of 3/36. This is either accomplished by supplemental warranty coverage, extended or aftermarket service contracts, Or ....Coughing up the cash to Fix YOUR CAR.

As a Defect investigator, You should have the basic knowledge that a defect, and neglecting potentially dangerous issues because of "OUT OF POCKET" expense , are two entirely different things. (A bit Hypocritical on your part dont ya think??) You have seen in the field countless times , Improper repairs, poor designs, and the like and the end result can be quite devastating,And you have also seen the flipped side, where neglect possibly cost someone their life. But yet you insist on neglecting a potentially hazardous condition until someone else foots the bill????? Come on now....It is within our rights to expect better from someone who claims to be an industry professional.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Doesnt ANYONE pay ATTENTION???? 3 pages of worthless babble on this subject, when the answer was given within the first few posts???
I find it to be a pretty good discussion thread. If this one bothers you, then the one on dodgeforum would really have you losing it. It's up to 16 pages of "worthless babble" about NHTSA complaints about this issue, and owners sharing information about how they got this repaired by Chrysler for varying amounts of money with varying amounts of grief.

A wider recall is necessary for this SAFETY DEFECT on many of Durangos and Aspens. It warrants discussion, even if it goes past three posts.

Now, having said that, As a vehicle owner, It is YOUR responsibility to maintain your vehicle from defects , beyond the Basic warranty period of 3/36. This is either accomplished by supplemental warranty coverage, extended or aftermarket service contracts, Or ....Coughing up the cash to Fix YOUR CAR.
The end of the warranty period does not get Chrysler off the hook for safety defects that have to do with fuel leaking out of the tank. This isn't just a few vehicles we're talking about here, and you can bet the farm that there will be a recall. Hopefully it doesn't require someone dying first.

Last edited by 15951a\; 04-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM

The end of the warranty period does not get Chrysler off the hook for safety defects that have to do with fuel leaking out of the tank. This isn't just a few vehicles we're talking about here, and you can bet the farm that there will be a recall. Hopefully it doesn't require someone dying first.
There is exactly my point in a nutshell.......

Yes, I fully agree ...there will be a recall.......And No I dont agree that Chrysler should be let off the hook.

But before some one DIES......That is the key....

You are going to jeopardize Your own safety, the safety of your family, and anyone else who is in the gas station with yoiu, Just because ..THE RECALL HASNT BEEN ISSUED YET?????

And how many times are we going to see in bold Print...Im not going to pay for it......

It seems to me that it isnt a big deal and not worth the bother if It has to come out of the motorists pocket, but as soon as someone else is expected to pick up the tab....It instantly becomes a TRAGEDY.

The Recall at the Moment, Is ONLY 2005 DURANGO.......

The service bulletin on this subject was Kindly posted by a moderator of this forum on PAGE 1 of this thread......

My point was that after 3/36 is over...Technically, Chrysler is NOT REQUIRED to do anything about it. When it goes to NHTSA, and it is mandated that it be recalled, then they have no choice......

In the meantime.......Consider Brakes for a moment...the car doesnt stop,and the driver continues to operate the vehicle in the hopes that Magically someone will offer to fix his car for free.......

There has to be a line drawn between Common sense and your wallet. It is your vehicle, and your responsibility until someone steps forward and tells you otherwise....

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 04-18-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM

2007 Aspen with exact same problem. Dealer told me $700 to fix. Told them I would live with it. This is a defect the could be very dangerous in a rollover crash. Recall is needed.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Dealer told me $700 to fix. Told them I would live with it. This is a defect the could be very dangerous in a rollover crash. Recall is needed.
It seems to me that it isnt a big deal and not worth the bother if It has to come out of the motorists pocket, but as soon as someone else is expected to pick up the tab....It instantly becomes a TRAGEDY.

NOT TO GLOAT GUYS...BUT THAT IS PRICELESS.....

A recall is needed because it is a Defect and very dangerous.....But you are willing to live with it until someone else foots the bill........????????????????

ARE YOU FOR REAL.......????

Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM

NOT TO GLOAT GUYS...BUT THAT IS PRICELESS.....

A recall is needed because it is a Defect and very dangerous.....But you are willing to live with it until someone else foots the bill........????????????????

ARE YOU FOR REAL.......????
Understood, but I'm not worried about how a couple of random vehicle owners on a message board react to a defect. It's the MANUFACTURER'S responsibility to own up to life safety issues and fix them before something bad happens. Whether "chjohnson2" decides to live with it is irrelevant, but highlights the increased need for Chrysler to get off their butts and do something about this problem.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 AM

I decided to live with it, because I am deciding on my next vechile. I am tired of Chyrsler not living up to the name. I will have a few non-Chyrsler in a few weeks.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM

I have a 2008 and have the same problem. I went to the dealer last week. They filled up the gas tank and saw the problem. They are replacing my gas tank no problem and they ordered that parts. Today I got a call that the parts are in and I am scheduled for next week to go in.

Quick Reply: Gas overflow at fillup