Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Gas overflow at fillup

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Understood, but I'm not worried about how a couple of random vehicle owners on a message board react to a defect. It's the MANUFACTURER'S responsibility to own up to life safety issues and fix them before something bad happens.
Aside from the obvious point of an ability of the consumer to PURCHASE extended coverage, either by way of Chrysler service contract, or aftermarket companies, BAsic warranty on a New vehicle is 3 years or 36K , whichever Occurs first.

Now having said that, There has been no official determination as to the cause. ..It has not yet been determined that it is indeed a defect. Fuel Quality, sediment build up, or any number of "Outside Influences" can cause this.

Your warranty states that the vehicle will be free from MANUFACTURERS defects for a period of 3/36..... Which Most of the posters here have ackknowledged exceeding..

Technically, after that, you are on your own, and You knew that ( Or at least if you read the agreement BEFORE signing the contract , You would have Known) When you went in...

Now...I will "STEP BACK" from the offensive for a moment, because, Frankly...I work for a Chrysler Dealership...I'm just a Technician, and as such, I have No say in the matter, I dont make parts, I dont sell parts, I only install what is available to me, and I dont handle Money. I dont want to see anyone Hurt, and In No way has that ever been my intention.But.... If you look at the picture...Chrysler has Fullfilled its 3/36 promise , and Until NHTSA says differently, There is NO OBLIGATION on the part of the MFR to rectify this free of charge. That is why it is termed a "GOOD WILL" repair, And at their discretion,they MAY choose to "HELP -OUT"...But they arent REQUIRED TO.

As for rollover crash...That has Nothing to do with it....The involved part is the Check Valve That seals the tank....It does its Job, and seals the tank....The problem you guys are experiencing, is The valve Not opening fully and allowing the gas to enter the tank, or in severe cases, Accumulations of Fuel "VARNISH" can build up in the Vent Tube, allowing the escaping air to "force" out past the incoming fuel, similar to the "GLUG" from pouring from a full soda bottle , Either of these conditions, will only pose a threat when FUELING" the vehicle, Not driving it, not rolling it over, and certainly not sitting still in a parking lot.

It has Nothing whatsoever to do with Evap leaks, Check engine lamps, Gascap Lamps, or fuel economy, and the recall on the 2005 Durango is a seperate issue and different design Altogether.

As for me personally....As I said, I dont wish bad things on anyone, and that isnt my intention. If and when My personal vehicle needs something repaired, It costs me ..Just like it costs you.It is a piece of Machinery, which will not last forever unscathed. It is the motorists Obligation to keep the vehicle in a safe state of repair,after any warranty is extinguished. If and when This escalates into a recall campaign, any of you who have spent money will be reimbursed for the repair.If you have an extended contract , it will be covered, Minus of course the deductible, which is part of the contract you purchased.

As a driver, you have responsibilities to your family , who rides in the vehicle with you, The OTHER motorists on the road, as well as their families, and More important, YOURSELF.
Yet this has become More of a "B*TCH SESSION" about the expense of a repair. It isnt about the safety, or the inconvenience, But rather "Who is going to pay for this?". You are all putting a "Price Tag " on safety, and if that is the case, You should all be riding Bicycles, that dont need to be refueled, instead of Jeopardizing the safety Of MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS everytime you pull up to a pump.

As Of late Wednesday afternoon, I hasd just completed a Tank replacement on an 08 ASPEN. for this very concern. It has 61,000 miles on it, No warranty coverage left, and the repair was paid for in cash...
Saturday morning, the customer had returned, Thanking us for rectifying the issue, and informing us that Chrysler was willing to split the repair cost. And He Was HAPPY about it... The money didnt matter, He only cared that his truck was fixed....

If the Money Matters so much, then In reality, You Shouldnt have purchased a 50,000 dollar vehicle that you cannot afford to maintain, after the warranty has run out.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

here is a good question I would like answered

my aunt just passed away this week a bad heart from what I am told
should I be kicking and screaming that she did not last until the normal age for a white woman is in America? Who should pay for her? in the grand gestures of life this is how everything works nothing lasts forever be happy u at least have a car to drive and people to love.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM

My Deepest condolences Kevin, May the knowledge that she rests in a better place , also be of comfort to you and your family......

Djinn and Family....

Without taking this mans grief and using it maliciously for personal gain, on some small scale, the situations and points brought up are similar.
As mentioned here..... You do what must be done, when it needs to be done. This woman needs a Burial, and a Memorial service of some type. There is no time, and no room for Bickering between Cousins and brothers, and Uncles and sisters. What needs to be done, needs to be done...And as it should be, It will get done...regardless of who takes responsibility, or who assumes the cost, It needs to get done. This is the hand we have been dealt by the powers that be,and it is how life works.

Cars and trucks, Boats and Homes are quite trivial when you consider the rest of your existence.....as well as the others existing around you.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

hey first to post on here

Obama: Al-Qaida head bin Laden dead

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Djinn, summary response:

1. Chrysler has already acknowledged this as a defect, as they already did a recall on the 2005 for the exact same problem. If the Durango/Aspen was still being produced and/or sold in greater numbers, I expect that the recall would have been expanded by now.

2. I've seen you use the $50k vehicle line a bunch of times. Buying an expensive vehicle doesn't lower my expectations for safety and longevity. In fact, the opposite is true.

3. You had a customer that was apparently thrilled to pay 50% to correct a manufacturer's defect. That doesn't make it right.

4. Warranties do not exempt manufacturers from negligence and design defects. Ask Toyota. Or Ford. Or GM. Or Honda. Or Chrysler. Et al...

5. I had mine fixed a year ago, and paid part of the repair. Since then, I've found a number of people (many!) having the same problem. Whether people step up or not is besides the point that this is a safety issue that obligates Chrysler to perform a recall. This is not a warranty issue.

If you see posts all over Dodge and Chrysler forums about this known issue, why does it take Chrysler declaring it an issue for you to believe it warrants a recall? The almighty warranty doesn't apply to defects causing life safety issues that apply to many vehicles in a product line. Jeep is replacing many of these same tanks. This topic is everywhere on Chrysler product message boards.

Examples:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...6-durango.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ga...illing-872096/

Looks like the Nitro shares the same "feature":

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=700

Videos of the problem on YouTube. Apparently, people are getting a little frustrated over this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMrVcTDGZo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5U63CN-II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwGVmyy3VM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzGciHXC1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8WiocXXEE

This took five minutes of searching. There are hundreds more pages of people having "bitch sessions" about this major, widespread problem on Chrysler vehicles. I guess we should all just pay to have it fixed and shut up.

Last edited by 15951a\; 05-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 AM

1. Chrysler has already acknowledged this as a defect, as they already did a recall on the 2005 for the exact same problem.
The recall on the Durango was for the same "SYMPTOM", not the same problem. The recall and rectification procedures do not apply, and in fact, will not work on anything but the 2005 durango.

2. I've seen you use the $50k vehicle line a bunch of times. Buying an expensive vehicle doesn't lower my expectations for safety and longevity. In fact, the opposite is true.
That is just more of a "Generic" dollar amount I see as fair to describe an expensive vehicle. There are bigger ones, and smaller ones , of course, But as with a Chrysler 300, Or a Dodge RAM truck..You Bought a "FLAGSHIP " vehicle.
Now by No means SHOULD you have lower expectations, In fact , think they should be alot higher than if you purchased a Dodge Caliber, for 17,900 , complete with Crank windows, no wheel covers and a 2 liter Mitsu Motor.

4. Warranties do not exempt manufacturers from negligence and design defects. Ask Toyota. Or Ford. Or GM. Or Honda. Or Chrysler. Et al...
True, they do not.....But they do not exempt a customers "Prudence" and Common sense Either. There are any Number of outside influences that can cause this, and Chrysler Has NOT recognized this as a design FLAW as of yet. While it is truly a widespread issue, and I do not doubt that it is, Until proof of poor design is presented to outweigh the outside factors, These vehicles are out of coverage,and are treated as such.
If you see posts all over Dodge and Chrysler forums about this known issue, why does it take Chrysler declaring it an issue for you to believe it warrants a recall? The almighty warranty doesn't apply to defects causing life safety issues that apply to many vehicles in a product line. Jeep is replacing many of these same tanks. This topic is everywhere on Chrysler product message boards.
Apparently..what I say or think doesnt matter... When it comes to the money in your pocket or YOUR vehicle. Frankly ..I dont own an aspen, or a Nitro or a Jeep. My personal vehicle doesnt fall under the Service Bulletin, nor does it have a splashback problem.
Even If I agree with you 150%, I have no control of YOUR MONEY, CHRYSLERS MONEY, or The ENGINEERS Money. I cant forceyou to fix it, I cant force them to fix it, and I certainly wont develop my own parts line , just to give them away....

BUT.....I do have a few Interesting questions for you to ponder, so that You and I dont have to argue this any longer......An answer will , beyond a shadow of a doubt, leave all of us with a supreme ruling on this matter....Provide we AIM our Displeasure in the right direction....

You dont want to , or think you should not have to ,pay for a safety issue to be fixed on your vehicle.?
Do You Feel that Chrysler is dragging their A$$es on this?
I am a Flat Rate Tech, who gets paid MFR rate for warrantee, recall, and GOOD WILL repairs, which is approximately 40% of book time. Now...If you paid part of the repair on your particular vehicle, ...WHO do you think PAID THE REST OF IT???

I think that is a fair expression of our VIEWS on this topic, . Would you agree?.....

So now I ask......WHO HASNT BEEN REPRESENTED HERE???

Where does NHTSA stand on all of this.....And why Havent they MANDATED Chrysler to a RECALL CAMPAIGN????

WHO IS DRAGGING THEIR A$$ES ???

Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
here is a good question I would like answered

my aunt just passed away this week a bad heart from what I am told
should I be kicking and screaming that she did not last until the normal age for a white woman is in America? Who should pay for her? in the grand gestures of life this is how everything works nothing lasts forever be happy u at least have a car to drive and people to love.
Sorry for your loss. I'll take the bait on this one, though. Imagine a large number of women your aunt's age started dying of heart failure - many more than average annual deaths from the same ailment. Would we all just wave it off as a mystery and hope for the best, or would we expect causes to be identified and addressed (e.g. diet, exercise, a certain genetic marker, whatever) so the issue could be addressed?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
So now I ask......WHO HASNT BEEN REPRESENTED HERE???

Where does NHTSA stand on all of this.....And why Havent they MANDATED Chrysler to a RECALL CAMPAIGN????

WHO IS DRAGGING THEIR A$$ES ???
You're assuming that Chrysler isn't well aware of the problem and the solution, which they are. They're providing discounted repairs to many people out of warranty to avoid a recall, which would be very expensive and damaging to the company. Imagine a recall of several makes and models for fuel tank replacement...that's sort of a big deal. It'll be a bigger deal if this results in injury at some point.

"But Your Honor, there wasn't a formal recall!"

Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Im not assuming anything......That is why the service bulletin was issued. Yes they know about it, And yes they know what is involved in the repair.....

What you as the general public dont see behind the scenes, is this.....THERE is NOTHING DIFFERENT about the replacement tank , or filler neck...They are exactly the same part number as what came out.

Now exactly the same as you dont want to open your wallet unless you are forced to, why should They........

Which brings me to my next point....You didnt answer my question....

WHY IS NHTSA DRAGGING THEIR A$$ES ON THIS.....

Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM

So they're replacing crap with crap? Even better!! Looking forward to failure #2 in a year or so.

I can't speak for NHTSA. I logged my complaint with them, and many others have as well. According to a post on DodgeForum.com, over 500 complaints about this problem were made in 2010, and 138 so far for this year. NHTSA is confused by the "efforts" Chrysler has made so far in changing the design, and will eventually come around to the conclusion that the new design has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! Stay tuned.

As for me opening my wallet -- which I already did, by the way -- vs. the manufacturer that manufactured the faulty part(s): If you don't know the answer to that one, I can't help you!

Quick Reply: Gas overflow at fillup