Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Gascap message and a MIL annunciation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Granted..... and point well taken, But.....

Think for a moment.....If you come home and there is 8 inches of water on your kitchen floor, and the wife and kids are all huddled up on the countertop......

The last thing you want to hear is ..."I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO SHUT IT OFF"...
Maybe, but if my wife calls a plumber and agrees to pay for his time, he better not complain about hearing it when he shows up.

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
In similar situation.... You spent 30, 40 or 50 thousand dollars on a piece of equipment...IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW HOW IT WORKS....

It doesnt become my responsibility until it doesnt WORK PROPERLY.....

Now..as for being the expert..True ...I am paid for that...and when a customer comes in with a problem like this, it is usually (But not always) explained that if it is an operator error, it WILL NOT be covered under your warranty. At that point they have an option of walking away....

If they agree to the diagnosis fee......I will usually clear it, and have The service manager release the vehicle as a "Tailight bulb"...10 bucks...and Im paid, the customer is happy, and all is well.....

Here on the forum, ...This is my time, my electric, my service provider, and My SATISFACTION of knowing that I tried to do my good deed for the day.....

I doubt it, but if there is a Salary for answering questions here, No one told me, So I do it for my own Satisfaction....Why then, on gods good green earth, do I have to show courteousy towards someone who didnt even bother to read my detailed explanation of how it works and what to do.....Nor the Manufacturers Instructions on what it is supposed to do....

The original poster got her question answered, and never showed up again.... This guy explained how he did what I explained NOT TO DO...but doesnt understand why it still doesnt work....

The parts store got the money for their cap...The dealer got their fee for giving him the WRONG INFO....I didnt get a Nickel out of the deal...HOW AM I THE BAD GUY?????
I'm not calling into question your behavior on this forum. I was responding to your comment that you tell CUSTOMERS that it isn't your "responsibility to translate...owners manual into STUPID". You must have really nice customers, because that wouldn't go over too well around here.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, I did say "SELECT" customers......I wouldnt do that with just anyone....

I will admit I have thought it on more than one occasion...

An older gentleman comes into the shop, with the 300 HE JUST PICKED UP the day before.... Claiming the memory seats dont work right....

When I get the car, Indeed they dont work right...And I know they worked before, because I did the prep on the vehicle....
Come to find out, He has the seat belt "BUCKLED" behind the seat, so the chime will stop, because HE doesnt feel it is necessary to wear his seat belt. The seat does not retract with the belt buckled, because it thinks there is still someone buckled into the seat.....When I told him He cannot buckle the belt in that fashion, I was told I was incompetent, and He was going to return the car because this was unacceptable to him........So now, I have just been "Dragged thru the mud" so to speak, there is NOTHING that I can do to make him happy, and all of this because HE DIDNT READ THE MANUAL......

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

^ Think positive: no seat belt may = 1 less moron on the street.

I agree with you 100% on the "RTFM" thing. It's the first thing I do. I did recently gOt burned though. I couldn't program my universal garage door opener on my new Lincoln for the life of me. Read the manual. Checked Homelink's website, etc. I finally called Homelink. Come to find out, it's NOT Homelink -- even though my manual had Instructions + phone number for Homelink. I had an early version of the manual, and it was wrong.

Last edited by kkreit01; 03-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM

So I too just had the gascap message display, I went to O'Rielly's to use their OBDII reader and cleared the code. The engine light went off, but the gascap warning still comes on at startup? Are you saying it will go away on my next purchase of fuel "Gold"...?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Assuming the cap is tight........Follow the procedure in the owners Manual

Starting and operating section, "Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message."....

Start the vehicle...When the GASCAP message is displayed, press and hold the ODOMETER RESET button until the cluster chimes and the message goes out.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Default gas cap light

queston for Djinn-n-tonic.. I also am working on 07 aspen, It had a 457 and gas cap light on . They put new cap on, but couldnt get the light to clear. Probably didn't know how. Any way, i put smoke to it and cant find any leaks, put a new emis on it and drove it for about 20 miles and everything is fine.. Brought back in to double check something else for noise and shut it off, when i restarted it the gas cap light came back on. I also read on alldata that it wont get a good test until it sets and the temp changes before it can run a legit test. Dont understand that but if it works great,, Also read your comment about putting gas in vehicle.. Would this be the same for a reset for it to run the test for small leak also Thanks, First vehicle i've worked on without a vent valve.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM

it wont get a good test until it sets and the temp changes before it can run a legit test. Dont understand that but if it works great,
Absolutely true.....
457 TECHNICALLY SPEAKING isnt an EVAP leak at all...Its a Confused Computer.... When you shut the car down...it Looks at fuel level....You put gas in it..and restart it.....It sees the difference in fuel level , and runs the LARGE LEAK TEST.....If it fails the large test, immediately after putting gas in it...The Computer comes up with the logical scenario that ...YOU DIDNT PUT THE CAP BACK ON...

No...Small and Medium leaks are different....those are run under specific criteria....

Now...If you have already replaced ESIM...And You cant find any OBVIOUS leaks ( A large Leak will show smoke to A blind man.....) ...Two things come to mind....The wiring to ESIM is damaged...or...The sending unit in the tank is Flopping around, causing innacurate fuel readings.

As a dealership tech...I guess Ive gotten a bit spoiled.....I can use a FActory Scan Tool to "FORCE" a large Leak Test, and after running it twice..the warning clears.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Default 2007 aspen fixed

I replaced the ESIM this morning on my 2007 Aspen. It required no tools and took about 5 minutes.

I cleared the MIL and have no pending DTCs. Now I can use my remote start again as it heats up here in Florida.

Slide under your aspen, LH side just in front of the fuel tank, and locate the charcol canister. On the LH side you will see the ESIM. Rotate the ESIM Clock wise (IIRC, it may have been CCW) to remove it. Then unplug the it's harness and remove the hose. Install the new ESIM in the reverse order.

The only issue I have is that I've been driving with the "gascap" warning and MIL for thousands of miles and it was a simply five minute fix with an $8 part.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Default 2006 Pacifica

so I pushed the odometer to reset my gas cap message. It didn't chime and I held it in for a long time. The message went away, but reappeared shortly.
Any suggestions?
Thank you