Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Passenger Mirror removal instructions?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Default Passenger Mirror removal instructions?

I need to remove the passenger door trim and replace the passenger power mirror (auto dim with heat and memory) on my 2008 Aspen Limited 5.7L - wife hit the side of the garage and cracked the housing and mirror glass.

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the passenger side interior door panel and further instructions on how to replace the mirror assembly? From parts diagrams it looks like a few nuts once the panel is off.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Partially remove trim panel. Then just disconnect the electrical connector and remove three nuts. It'll pull away from the door after that.

To remove the door trim panel, remove the screws behind the interior door handle (1 screw) and on the bottom of the door (2 screws). Lift the panel straight up off the lock rod and attachment hooks. Reach behind the door and unplug the electrical connectors, disconnect the handle actuator rod and remove the panel. You might be able to do the job without completely removing the panel.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Thanks 15951a. Your outstanding forum support always amazes me. Happy Holidays !

Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Well, I finally got around to replacing the passenger mirror. Ordered a replacement from Rock Auto. Looks great = functions poorly. Everytime a driver uses their keyfob to unlock / lock the doors with their memory setting (or push setting 1 or 2 on the drivers door) the passenger mirror motor bottoms out, up, left or right. The mirror motor will not stop unless we manually intervene using the drivers door mirror adjustment ****. Turning off the memory settings and even unlinking keyfobs does not stop the mirror madness. I believe I ordered the correct mirror - the plug and wiring all matches. Is there some software adjustment that the dealer needs to make? Any other ideas to get the mirror motor to operate properly? Anyone have the pin wiring diagram for the passenger side mirror with memory,heat and tilt in reverse? Maybe I can isolate one wire to disable the memory for the mirror while leaving the power adjustment and heat alone.

Last edited by ssaspen08; 10-17-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added text
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Sadly I don't have the memory feature on my Aspen. Wish I did. Something that makes me wonder with these mirrors is the fact that they list specifically with or without memory feature. I always though the memory aspect for all the items (mirrors, seat, pedals) were stored in one brain within the vehicle itself. If that was the case, specific with or without memory mirrors wouldn't be necessary. Therefore it seems like these items have their own "brain". So, with that I have to ask, have you tried re-programming your memory settings with the new mirror? If you have and this is still an issue, I'd be contacting Rock Auto about a defective mirror.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Default Passenger Side Mirror - Can anyone get a build sheet?

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Sadly I don't have the memory feature on my Aspen. Wish I did. Something that makes me wonder with these mirrors is the fact that they list specifically with or without memory feature. I always though the memory aspect for all the items (mirrors, seat, pedals) were stored in one brain within the vehicle itself. If that was the case, specific with or without memory mirrors wouldn't be necessary. Therefore it seems like these items have their own "brain". So, with that I have to ask, have you tried re-programming your memory settings with the new mirror? If you have and this is still an issue, I'd be contacting Rock Auto about a defective mirror.
In my quest to replace my broken passenger mirror I've hit a road block. After buying a replacement mirror from RockAuto (great to deal with btw) and replacing it with a second one because I thought it was defective I'm stuck. I think I have the wrong one. If I can get a build sheet for my Aspen I can get the code for the mirror (GTS or GYE). That makes a difference in what I buy from RA - because there are at least 4 types of passenger mirrors all with different numerical codes. Can anyone run a build sheet if I email you the VIN?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM

It definitely sounds like you have the wrong mirror. I have a 2008 with memory mirrors, and the build sheet states:

GYEP Power 6X9 Multi-Func F/Away Mirrors

FYI, the reason the memory mirror is different is because sensors in the mirrors act as inputs to the memory mirror module in order to position the mirrors to presets. The memory module is in the driver's door.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
It definitely sounds like you have the wrong mirror. I have a 2008 with memory mirrors, and the build sheet states:

GYEP Power 6X9 Multi-Func F/Away Mirrors

FYI, the reason the memory mirror is different is because sensors in the mirrors act as inputs to the memory mirror module in order to position the mirrors to presets. The memory module is in the driver's door.
Thanks 15951a. As you mention, I believe I have the GYEP mirror - just need to confirm and then find that mirror somewhere online. This is what I previously purchased online:

Part # CH1321288 {55078074AI, 55078074AK}
Power; Heated; w/Memory; 6x9; Fold-Away; Chrome; Right

I replaced this mirror twice with the vendor but both times it did not function properly as I previously stated. I guess this mirror is not the GYEP mirror. For fun, I put the original broken mirror back on and functionality is normal. - so no issues with the memory module. I'll have to pull the original again and look for the part # sticker - if my memory is correct the original mirror had part # 55078074AI - like shown at the vendor's site. I'm still confused - and just being cheap by not wanted to spend a lot of $$ at the dealer parts counter - but I may end up there eventually.
Thank you for your help.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 AM

It might be worth it to take a trip to the parts counter. Tell them what you can order it for elsewhere, and see if they'll come close.

Last edited by 15951a\; 10-30-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Default FINAL UPDATE: Passenger Mirror removal instructions thread

All,

I eventually did make a trip to the parts counter as suggested and did purchase the MOPAR mirror. Interestingly it had the identical part # to those I purchased from various online parts places that would not work properly.

Happy to report that the MOPAR mirror does function properly. Once again "you get what you pay for". Happy New Year to all.