Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Rattle in roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Default Rattle in roof

I've got an occassional rattle in the roof (above the headliner, just behind the 2nd row seats).

Wondering if anyone else has had this and if it might be an A/C duct or something? Could the dome light be rattling or something? Nothing appears to be loose.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by conversion02
I've got an occassional rattle in the roof (above the headliner, just behind the 2nd row seats).

Wondering if anyone else has had this and if it might be an A/C duct or something? Could the dome light be rattling or something? Nothing appears to be loose.
Check to see if your roof rack is cracked at the very back by the screws holding it in. Mine were and I've never used the rack. Just took it in to have them replaced under warranty.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Good thought, thanks. I'll check that out.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM

I had a simialr rattle noise in the same location on my Aspen. Turned out it was the mounting bracket for the DVD player. The dealer described it to me as being foam or soft rubber isolation blocks that are located in the support frame for the overhead DVD player. When my DVD player was installed, one was missed or fell out of position, causing the rattling of the bracket.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM

I've narrowed it down to the headliner in front of the rear dome light. It appears the previous owner had the headliner removed at some point. I'm guessing the dealer didn't properly reinstall it, as it'll move if I push up on it (sags a bit compared to my other cars).

How does the rear dome light assembly be removed? I'm wondering if I can put some double sided tape in the headliner to get it to stop rattling in that area. Doesn't look like there's any push-pin type holders on the headliner anywhere.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM

I too have this problem of a rattle in the rear just behind the second row drivers side and I'm trying to get a schematic of what is above there if it is an air duct that has come undone. I don't have the rear VES and my headlined is fully intact and doesn't sag at all. I plan on going to Home Depot and getting one of those milwalkee cameras snakes to see what the he'll is above there without taking the whole calm rear section of my aspen. My roof rack seems to be intact though. Regarding the rear map light it is very easy to remove and all you need is a flat screw driver to release the clear plastic latch in the middle between the two reading lights that also lights up too. You will see towards the rear of the light asembly and once you unsnap it moves down and the light will come down. I tried today on trying to get a sneak peek through the rear to see if I can drop down the headlined but there are so many pieces to remove it will take a nice dry entire day on acomplishing this. Till then I will get back to you guys about my discovery.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

I've found my problem. Took it to the dealer who dropped the headliner. Apparently the sunroof module (which is apparently huge and plastic that the wires run through and for some reason goes all the way back to the rear dome light) has wires that are rattling against the plastic module. They said the module needs replaced...for a whopping $1300. I told them to shove it and cut a pencil sized hole in the plastic to spray some great stuff in there to seal up those rattling wires. They said no can do. Go figure. Looks like I have a project now. The rattling is ridiculous and makes this supposed luxury vehicle sound like a Neon on the inside.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM

That doesn't surprise me. Have you ever pulled a door panel on the Aspen? There's literally 0 sound dampening/deadening in there (at least in the rears). Chrysler really could have done better in this area.

I'm really glad I don't have a moonroof on the Aspen -- with all the water and rattling issues.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 PM

I wonder if the 2007 (first model year) has more problems than 2008+. Mine's a 2008, and no rattles, squeaks, leaks, creaks, or groans...and I'm one of those guys that will chase a small rattle around for weeks until I isolate and repair it. I thought the addition of Bilstein shocks would induce some rattles, but it's still vault quiet. In fact, I thought I had a rattle one day after installing the Bilsteins, and it turned out to be an umbrella vibrating against the door panel.

Honestly, this is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned, and my current car is an Infiniti. I had a Lexus before that. The Lexus rattled like a POS from day one.