Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

remote key question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Default remote key question

i just purchased an 07 aspen but not from a chrysler dealer and the key came with an extra remote that just has a picture of a key. i know its factory cause it has the chrysler logo on it. my question is what is for? the regular key fob has lock and unlock button so i dont know what this other little remote is for. i did press the key twice and it started the car up and it shuts down and it will keep doing that untill i stick the key into ignition. if anyone can shine some light on this i would really appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

that would be the chrysler remote start add on

Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 AM

how do i make it work? cause when i hit the key twice it will turn on but immediately shut off and it will retry to start and shut off again. So am i doing something wrong.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

the system could have an issue with it this will require the install manual possible need to be reprogrammed to work again.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM

ok i'll check it out. thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 06:38 PM

try locking yor doors then try you remote,factory remotes locks door before it starts, dont know about after market romote.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM

So finally had time to take the aspen to the dealer and they told me that the remote start needed to reprogram but that it will cost me $250. Does anyone on here know the reprogram procedure for this. tnanks i advance

Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by str8hemi
So finally had time to take the aspen to the dealer and they told me that the remote start needed to reprogram but that it will cost me $250. Does anyone on here know the reprogram procedure for this. tnanks i advance
Are you sure they aren't quoting you to install a new system? That's ridiculous!!

Sounds like you need to set the tach. Here are some instructions for transmitter programming I found floating around on the Internet. (insert disclaimer here about now being responsible if this launches a ballistic missile, etc.)

1. Transmitter Programming.
A. Make sure battery is connected.

B. Close hood.

C. Turn the ignition to the “on” position.

D. Press and hold the programming button. After 10 seconds the horn will chirp and the lights will flash 3 times indicating the system is now in transmitter learn mode.

E. Release the programming button.

F. Press button on transmitter to be programmed. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating that the transmitter has been learned.

G. Repeat step F for additional transmitters.
2. Option Programming.

The remote start system has several installer programmable options which can be changed to accomodate different circumstances. In most cases, there will be no need to change any default settings. There will be cases (such as deisel vehicles), where the delay before crank option must be set.

Note:This system has 2 option banks. Bank 1 has 7 options, and Bank 2 has 2 options. Refer to the Options Bank Chart on page 15 for details.
A. Follow the steps above to enter Transmitter Learn Mode.

B. Press and release the programming button. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 4 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 1.

C. Press and release the brake pedal. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating the system is at option 1. Additional press and releases of the brake pedal will advance to the next option. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash according to which option is selected (i.e. Two chirps and flashes indicates option 2).

D. Pressing the transmitter button changes the setting of the option. The status LED (located in the main harness approximately 4” from the module) indicates the setting of the option. LED “on” indicates the option is on, LED “off” indicates the option is off.

Option Programming - continued.

E. Pressing and releasing the programming button again will put the system into Option Bank 2. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 5 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 2.

F. Press and release the brake pedal to cycle through the options in Bank 2. Notes:

Once the system has reached the last option in a bank, pressing and releasing the brake pedal will return back to option 1 in that bank.

Once the system has reached Option Bank 2, pressing and releasing the programming button will return back to Option Bank 1.

To reset options back to their default setting, while in option learn mode, push and hold the transmitter button until the horn chirps and lights flash 5 times.
3. Tach Rate Programming (Required for system to operate).

A. Close hood.

B. Turn the ignition to the “on” position.

C. Press and hold the programming button. After 10 seconds the horn will chirp and the lights will flash 3 times.

D. Release the programming button.

E. Press and release the programming button again. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 4 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 1.

C. Press and release the programming button again. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 5 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 2.

D. Advance to option 2 by pressing and releasing the brake pedal 2 times.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 2 times indicating sthe system is at option 2.

E. Start the vehicle with the key. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash once approximately every 3 seconds indicating a valid tach signal.

F. Once the engine has settled to a normal idle speed, press and release the

brake pedal to set the tach rate. G.Turn the ignition off. Note: If the system is not chirping the horn and flashing the lights every 3 seconds after the ignition has started, the system is not seeing a valid tach signal. Check your tach connection (Dk Blue/Yellow at coil). Repeat the Tach Rate Programming procedure.

Tach Rate Programming must be done before the SKREEM learn procedure.
4. SKREEM Transponder Interface Programming. 2 programmed Sentry keys are required for this step!

NOTE: Review and understand steps A-J prior to performing.
A. Close hood.

B. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the “on” position.

C. After the ignition has been activated for more than 3 seconds (but no more than 15 seconds), cycle the ignition switch back to the “off” position. Remove the key and keep it at least 2 feet away from the ignition switch.

D. Within 15 seconds of removing the first key, insert the second valid Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the “on” position.

E. Approximately 10 seconds after the ignition has been activated by the second Sentry Key, the dash theft-security light will start to flash, and a single audible chime (not the key-in-cylinder chime) will sound to indicate that the system has entered “Customer Learn” programming mode.

F. Cycle the ignition switch back to the “off” position. Remove the key and keep it at least 2 feet away from the ignition switch. Theft-security light will turn off.

G.Press and release the programming button located on the custom harness.

H. Within 60 seconds, press the start button on the remote start transmitter

(2) times.

I. Approximately 10 seconds after completion of Step H, a single audible chime will sound and the theft-security light will stop flashing and stay on solid for 3 seconds, and then turn off to indicate that the SKREEM Interface module has been successfully programmed.

J. The system will remote start the engine approximately 15 seconds after Step H. Press the brake pedal to shut down the remote start system. Note:

In some vehicles, during the SKREEM Interface learn procedure, the vehicle will start and stall on the first remote start attempt. The second remote start attempt will be successful. This is a normal condition of the learn procedure. If the vehicle does not start, refer to the Troubleshooting guide on page 16.
Once a SKREEM Interface Module has been programmed to a WCM/vehicle, it is permanently assigned to that WCM/vehicle and cannot be used on any other WCM/vehicle.

Option Bank Chart
Option Bank #1 (4 chirps) Factory Setting

Not used Reserved for future upgrade feature......................................... .On

Not used Reserved for future upgrade feature......................................... .On

Tach diagnostic mode

This feature should only be used for troubleshooting purposes only!............................................. ..........................Off
Car start run time LED “on” - 15 minutes, LED “off” - 10 minutes..........................Off

Not used Reserved for future upgrade feature.........................................Of f

Diesel timer Delays crank attempt 30 seconds after ignition on....................Off

Horn pulse short/long LED “on” - Short output, LED “off” - Long output.........................On

Option Bank #2 (5 chirps) Factory Setting

Key-in-sense polarity LED “on” - Positive, LED “off” - Negative.................................Off

Learn tachometer Horn will chirp every 3 seconds, press brake to set idle speed.

Last edited by 15951a\; 07-30-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM

where would i find that programming reset button at? i've looked but can't find it