Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacement Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM

^ Thanks for the review. They are much cheaper than the Bilsteins. I don't want a stiff ride, but I do want to rid of the rear hop, and rocking motion while going up driveway, etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM

The reason I went with Bilstein is from prior experience in their longevity. Yes, there are less expensive shocks out there that will perform close when right out of the box, but their lifetime is usually only 1/2 to 2/3 that of a Bilstein shock. I have Gas-ajust shocks on the rear of my Liberty, and they're shot at around 40,000 miles. My experience with Bilstein is that they usually go to about 80,000 miles with little loss in performance. Pay me now or pay me later.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM

I agree with you that the Bilsteins are an excellent product, no question. I chose the Reflex for a few reasons.

1. The ride and performance is greatly improved over the OEMs.
2. With cost taken into account, the Reflex are quite a bit less.
3. The Reflex shocks have a lifetime warranty if there is a failure. Now, I have not had to use the warranty so I dont know how much trouble it is try to get a replacement. Being a well recognized manufacturer (Tenneco) I decided to go with the Reflex and not assume that exercising a warranty claim, if ever necessary, would be that difficult.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Have an 09 aspen, have to replace the shocks, 38K on the car. Just talked to my mechanic and he said to check and see if Chrysler will replace them under warranty, I have max coverage on the car until 70K. Maybe someone can answer for me before i call chrysler, will they replace worn out shocks or just shocks that are leaking?? When I push on the rear of my car, i can bounce the thing with two fingers so I know they are worn out, plus when my wife is riding in the back with my granson...wooohoooo, they get a joy ride sonmetimes over the bumps. If im doing the back i may as well do the front also. I think the bilsteins are going for about 105 a pair at auto zone, does that sound about rite with the price. Cant seem to find a retailer that sells the Monroes....

Old 04-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Hope I didn't get to you too late! I got mine from Summitracing.com. They ended up being $312 shipped, which would mean you'd save $100.

Usually auto companies will not replace "wear" items such as brake rotors, pads, shocks, clutches, or other such items under warranty. That is, unless there's an obvious premature failure. In your case, I'd be surprised if they replaced your shocks for you.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 AM

I have the lifetime max care on my Aspen, and, if proven to be bad, they would replace them under warranty. I have a $100 deductable, so thats what it would have cost me. I never liked the OEM's, so I decided to take the $100 and put them towards the Reflex's.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Does anybody have the towing package? I have an 08 that hops around when ever I hit a pothole/manhole cover or drain. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about with worn shocks? My mechanic told me I never have to replace the "struts" unless they are leaking, but I think the problem is getting worse @50K.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by billdc
Does anybody have the towing package? I have an 08 that hops around when ever I hit a pothole/manhole cover or drain. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about with worn shocks? My mechanic told me I never have to replace the "struts" unless they are leaking, but I think the problem is getting worse @50K.
You have shocks, and they do wear out. The springs themselves aren't likely to wear, but the shocks absolutely are. I have the same vehicle as you - 08 with tow package. The hopping stopped when I replaced the shocks with some that aren't crap.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by billdc
I'd ask to see his certification, and regardless of what it says, I'd look for another mechanic. The rear is hopping around because your shocks are shot. The back end has no resistance, so it's just bouncing itself up and down on the springs.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. Still considering what to do here. Bilstein will cost me about 420 from auto zone, Reflex about 240 from advanced auto. Have to do some checking on internet pricing, im sure i can get them cheaper. I also have the 100 dollars deductable on my warranty, but i guess if they do go bad you get the oem shocks from chrysler and you are back in the same boat after a few miles. Guess it will be smart to use the bildstein or the monroe if you are going to change them. Is there a big difference in the monroe and bilstein shock to warrant the double cost of them?? I know the bilstein are the best, but im not planning on doing any off road driving and i really dont want the truck to be to stiff...

Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks