Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Seat belt plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Default Seat belt plastic

On nearly every seat in the first and second row, the plastic cover piece that are attached to the seat belt buckle that keep the buckle up off the floor and easier to reach have fallen apart. So now there is just the metal buckle, and there is nothing to hold it in place. This means the metal buckle is always down at the floor which is a pain. Anyone else having this problem? Can that plastic cover piece be purchased and reinstalled, or is there some aftermarket fix for this that anyone knows of? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 AM

I have the same issue with my 08. Looked into new belts and the run $130 each. Hope someone has found a cheaper fix for this.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:40 AM

You can buy seat belt repair kits from the dealer, they are about 10 bucks. They come with the replacement plastic locking slider piece that frequently breaks off the buckle. Had to do my Aspen and Durango. You need to unbolt the belt but it is easy and only takes about ten minutes.

Last edited by United1; 02-06-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the part number is? I will have to contact my dealer this week.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM

I have an issue with one of mine too. Thanks for the information. I assume going to the dealer and asking about the kit, they will know what I am referring to.

Well that was a bust. Called the dealer and they said no such kit exists. Do you have a part number by chance?

Last edited by KingZeke; 02-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Ya, my dealer knew nothing about it either. They said the only way was to buy all new belts, which run something like $140, and install is apparently a bear.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM

Here are the two that I purchased, you can see the Mopar numbers on the bags. One is gray, for my now gone 06 Durango and the other is tan for the Aspen.

Attached Thumbnails Seat belt plastic-belt1.jpg   Seat belt plastic-belt2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Default seat belt repair kit

Hello, I joined the forum today after a google search on Aspen seat belt problems.
The problem described in this thread is exactly what I have experienced.
However, when I try to view the attached photos to see the part numbers...I get a message from the forum that I am unauthorized to view the photos ?
Any help would be great. I really just need the part number for the repair kit for my 2008 Aspen.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers,
Rick H.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by averydad
Hello, I joined the forum today after a google search on Aspen seat belt problems.
The problem described in this thread is exactly what I have experienced.
However, when I try to view the attached photos to see the part numbers...I get a message from the forum that I am unauthorized to view the photos ?
Any help would be great. I really just need the part number for the repair kit for my 2008 Aspen.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers,
Rick H.
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum!

I believe you need to have "X" number of posts before you can view / post any photos on the forum.

The first photo shows part #05179217AA (Outer Belt Cinch Tongue Cover Repair Kit)

The second photo shows part #05179148AA (Outer Belt Cinch Tongue Cover Repair Kit)

These parts appear to be the same parts just different colors.

The best resource for parts questions is the Parts Department of your local dealership. They can ascertain the correct part number(s) to make sure the colors are correct for your interior, review part availability and discuss any alternatives you may have.

You can find a dealership locator using the "Find a Dealer" button on the top right hand side of the Chrysler - Official site of Chrysler cars, convertibles and minivans | Chrysler website.

Good luck on getting this issue resolved asap!

Last edited by ChryslerCares; 02-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Hi Rick,

Just an FYI:

After doing a little more research, it appears from what I can see in our Parts Database that those parts "MAY" not be compatible with the 2008 model year Aspen. Looks like they are only compatible up to the 2006 model year.

Again, double check with the Parts Department of your local dealership to make sure you get what you need for your specific vehicle.

Also, I vaguely remember some sort of recall for rear seat belts in that model year range. I don't have your VIN so I cannot determine for sure but take a peek at the Chrysler recall site to verify whether or not your vehicle is involved in any recalls.

You may access the self-service recall site on the internet to check on your vehicle's involvement in any recalls that are published. Simply go to the Chrysler brand website Owners page: http://www.Chrysler.com/en/owners and enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) where appropriate.

Again, good luck on resolving this issue quickly!

Tony

Quick Reply: Seat belt plastic