Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Time to replace brake pads/rotors. suggestions?

Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Default Time to replace brake pads/rotors. suggestions?

I have a '07 Aspen with 86,000. Still using original brakes and rotors. looks like it is about time to change them. I have not had dust issues either. I assume this is some kinda freak occurence getting this much mileage outta the brakes and rotors. Anybody got any idea what brand these OEM's might be? I would certainly like to get some more just like them. Barring that, what brand has everyone had good luck with in replacing brake pads and rotors?
thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM

aggie, please let us know what you ended up going with. You seem to be one of the first to replace brakes with anything other than OEM on this truck, so your input would be valuable.

I'm considering going with Brembo rotors and ceramic pads the next time around, but I'm open to suggestions. The stock components are underwhelming to me, and stopping distance isn't great (even for a truck).

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Wow, I wish I could get half of your 86K on any car I have ever owned.
I have already done my Aspen and her older brother, my 06 Durango. I use the mid grade Napa (sure stop, i think. About $50 or so a set) on each of those as well as my previous 00 Durango. I have never had any issue with fade or premature wear, I have been very pleased with them, over the years. I tried the ceramics years back, but depending on what you do with your Aspen, they may or may not be the best choice. They do reduce the brake dust issue and have better stopping characteristcs, but to a point. The ceramics do not disipate the heat as well as semi's, therefore, they will get hotter, hold the heat, and hence, so will your rotors. When this happens, your stopping distances will increase. For the average driver this may not be an issue, but, for me, I tow with the Aspen and 06 Durango. I learned the hard way that ceramics and towing do not mix, they get too hot and stay hot. I had to cut the rotors after that lesson.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM

i recommend going with the ebc greenstuff 7000. the reason i say that is because my friend has a durango and he installed ebc brake pads along with some cross drilled rotors and you can notice the difference compared to oem. It gives you a better stopping. The only thing is, they are a little pricey but well worth it