Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Tire pressure and TPMS warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Default Tire pressure and TPMS warning

Looking to finally replace my stock 265-50-20 SR-A's with new rubber (Yokahama Parada Spec-X or the more expensive Bridgestone Alenza's). In speaking with Tire Rack they mentioned that the Yoko's should be pressured around 40 psi (due to the XL rating on the Spec-X tire). Label on the door jam (for the stock SR-A's) mention 33 psi. Would inflating and running at the higher psi trip the TPMS alarm in the EVIC (or is the TPMS just a low pressure alarm)?
Thanks. !

Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM

The TPMS sensors only trigger a warning if the tire pressures are underinflated, not overinflated.

Also, if the tire size is the same as stock, the XL rating shouldn't require additional pressure. Use the recommended stock pressure unless you plan on loading the XL tires to their max weights, which would likely exceed the load rating of the Aspen!!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info, especially about the psi's. I have no intention to reach the XL rating - only haul the occasional bags of mulch/dirt/etc from the home centers.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Just run about 35 in all, and be happy. I run 35 psi in my Wrangler Silent Armors, and it seems like a "happy medium": not too soft, not too hard.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 PM

The TPMS sensors only trigger a warning if the tire pressures are underinflated, not overinflated.
Not necessarily true......"Premium TPMS" systems will go either way..Based on load, and tire temp, there is a "Hysterisis" point at the high end of the scale to warn you of impending Rupture.As for inflation pressures...Yes the guys are right on.....There is No Need to vary tire presssure due to load rating or tire design.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Not necessarily true......"Premium TPMS" systems will go either way..Based on load, and tire temp, there is a "Hysterisis" point at the high end of the scale to warn you of impending Rupture.As for inflation pressures...Yes the guys are right on.....There is No Need to vary tire presssure due to load rating or tire design.
Is this true of the premium TPMS system on the Aspen? I know some GM brands are using this, but I didn't realize Chrysler had incorporated it into their TPMS. The manual for my Aspen doesn't indicate that we have this, and I have the "premium" system that shows individual tire pressures on the overhead display.

There is LOTS of misinformation out there on tire pressure for replacement tires, mostly because the tire manufacturers remain generally silent on the issue other than providing an inflation range for the tire. The Ford Explorer's problem with exploding (underinflated) tires awhile back brought forth the myth that replacement tires may need higher pressures, which is just untrue if the sizes and loads are the same.

As an example, when I replaced my stock Goodyears with Hankooks, the installer - who owns the shop and has 20+ years of experience - insisted that I MUST have the new tires inflated to 40 psi, as they are XL tires and have an upper limit of 50 psi. I bounced (literally) down the road back home, waited a few hours to let the pressures come down to cold, and then reset the pressures according to the placard.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM

I have the "premium" system that shows individual tire pressures on the overhead display.
This started with some of the Rams. There is a switch on the dash to denote light/ heavy load...Which is basically just a "Towing Mode" switch for the tpms. This was later incorporated to Aspen/Durango and then Avenger/SeBring...(Although Most of the avengers were Never equipped with it....but the wring and connectors were left hanging from the harnesses. )

The "dealership " programming procedures allow for "Setting the PLACARD values into the "WCM", and the premium systems have a line for "High Value Set"...It is Probably around 55psi for passenger vehicles, With the Trucks being up toward 90 Psi.

Just a quick note...The "Base System" will do this also, but it is more of an Accident , than a feature. The actual Tire sensors are designed to read tire pressures from in a narrow range , for example 0 to 55psi. If you were to exceed the maximum limit of the sensor, it will set a Fault code for "Sensor Internal Fault", and flash the TPMS warning Lamp, because the "WCM" thinks the sensor is transmitting invalid data. Same is true of the lower value, but it doent get any lower than ...NOTHING.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 05-22-2011 at 06:36 AM.