Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Unable to change air vent discharge

Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Default Unable to change air vent discharge

'07 Aspen. I can't change place where air discharges to the cabin. i.e. the air will only blow out of the vents in the middle of the dash. I cannot get air to come out on the lower part (feet) or upper part (defrost) of the dash. The LED control panel shows that the different vents are selected when I push the buttons, but the the diverter doors aren't moving inside the air box to acutally change the flow of air.

Anybody had this problem and what was the fix, and what did it cost.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Sounds like you have a blend door stuck or a blend door motor failure.

All vehicles are equipped with a common front heater, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) housing. The front heating-A/C system combines A/C, heating, and ventilating capabilities in a single HVAC housing mounted within the passenger compartment under the instrument panel. The front HVAC housing includes:
  • Recirculation-air door and actuator
  • Blower motor
  • Blower motor resistor (MTC) or blower motor power module (ATC)
  • Evaporator temperature sensor
  • Blend-air door and actuator (single zone or dual zone passenger side)
  • Blend-air door and actuator (dual zone driver side)
  • Mode-air doors and actuators
  • Heater core
  • A/C evaporator
Depending on what repairs are needed, it can be quite labor intensive.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM

It sounds like a mode door problem. A blend door problem would affect discharge air temperature.

If they have to pull the plenum out, it means removing the whole dash panel. Like the man says, "labor intensive."

Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Last I checked, the repair for this one pays around 5.2 hours. The dash has to be pretty much dismantled to get to it.

My climate control makes a faint but high pitched whistle when in recirc or when off...probably the recirc door, and I'm waiting until it absolutely dies before messing with it.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I got my '08 Aspen about 2 months ago with several issues that I'm resolving one at a time slowly. Hopefully it'll be well worth it considering I got a very good deal on it.

Here's my issue right now. My A/C in the front is blowing only from the top vents. If I hit the other options it just keeps blowing from the top vents. The rear does change from top to floor as desired. I'm not afraid to do a 5 hour job. Can anybody just guide me as to what I'm looking for and where to look for it. Once I get to it I'll figure it out already.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Aspen going in last week of month to get worked on, air coming out only on vents in dash. Happened 4 years ago cost us over $750 at dealer. Cannot buy individual parts have to buy whole HVAC to get the right parts to fix. Looking at probably $900 this time around.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:25 PM

I have an 08 and I am experiencing the same issue. Hope someone is able to show photo or diagram of unit that is effective.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Just got Aspen back from dealer $1200 Found HVAc box had a crack and hole in about where one of the doors were. Also had air bag recall done.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 AM

Still looking for a diagram. Would like to do it myself. Anybody?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 AM

What you want is in the shop manual. Keep your eye peeled on eBay. They come up every once in a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unable to change air vent discharge