Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Angry 04 Stalling

i have a 2004 pacifica. 4 1/2 years without a problem--it has been great until last week. I was crawling in traffic and my oil light started to blink. Within a minute the car stalled. I could restart it a couple of times but i believe that since I was in bumper to bumper traffic I couldn't get it going. Went to the dealer-no codes come up. They changed the spark plugs, got a new battery and did a bunch of other things ($900 worth) but the moment I drove it away I could feel the car was not better and after 2 days, the car stalled again when i was at a red light. Same thing happened...the oil light blinked and then it stalled. It seems to only happen when I am at a red light and go to accelarate.

Another weird thing is that when I hit my lock button on my key, the car unlocks. Nothing will lock the car expect to hit the lock button on the car door and then it seems to lock but sometimes when you go back to the car its unlocked. Also, the inside lights are unexplainably on sometime.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM

The oil light blinking just prior to the motor dying is relatively normal. As the motor dies, the rpms go down, causing the oil pressure to drop, turning on the light. Probably not indicative of any problem itself. However, your locking problem, lighting problem, and dying problem are likely all connected.

First, have your codes read. Even if your MIL light is not on, there are possibly codes available. Any good code reader will tell you a lot about the vehicle, and you may find which system is acting up. Given the symptoms I would lean toward your security system.

The second (and simplest) thing to do is to disconnect both battery cables, then touch the two terminals together while disconnected. This, in some vehicles, causes different computer related appliances to reset. Doesn't work often, but it's quick and free to try. Be sure you have read your codes first though! And write them down to post here.

Check all of your electrical connectors both under the hood, and under the dash, especially those to the instrument cluster. Bad grounds or loose connectors cause many headaches.

Electrical glitches are the worst to find.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Default 04 Stalling

I just stalled again and this time my engine light came on. The oil light didn't even flash as it has before. We put the reader on the car and the Code P0129 and P0129P came up. Baromic pressure to low??

Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 PM

there was a recall on 04 pacs for stalling have the dealer check yours for a recall

Old 02-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Default 04 stalling

dealer already checked and no recalls on my car.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cboerner
I just stalled again and this time my engine light came on. The oil light didn't even flash as it has before. We put the reader on the car and the Code P0129 and P0129P came up. Baromic pressure to low??
P0129 Barometric Pressure Too Low

That's an odd code. Off the top of my head, I'd suspect either the MAF (mass air flow) sensor or the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor is giving a bad signal. Either that, or you have been operating at very high altitude.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM

do what dcotter says, replace sensors, the computer usually kills the engine when one of these sensors is bad