Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

05 Burning oil, lots of oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Default 05 Burning oil, lots of oil

So we disovered a few oil changes back that the car was burning oil, and lots of it. One day the wife told me her car sounded like my diesel, that is no good. I check the dip stick...nothing on it So I add a few qts and run it to the shop and get an oil change. No visable leaks, no smoke except during times that the car sits for a few days then only a small puff of smoke.

Anyway, each oil change I start checking the oil more and more often. Well this week I checked it again, she is due for a change and there isn't any oil on the dip stick. So I make an apt and they tell me that it is considered normal to burn 1qt of oil per 1000 miles. I say BS. The adviser also said that burning 1 qt for 900 miles is considered exessive but 901 miles and 1qt is ok.

So now I am having to go back to the dealer every 500 and 1000 miles to have them document the oil usage.

I checked a few other forums and found this is a pretty common issue. I would like to hear from others who have had this and got it fixed and what it was. I have a premier extended warranty that has 20K more miles on it and the car has 58K on the clock now.

Thanks

RR

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Default RE: 05 Burning oil, lots of oil

had a 04 pac never had that problem never added oil wish you luck with the dealer

Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM

Where have your read this is a pretty common issue? I'm new to the Pacifica crowd but this is the first I've read about it. If the problem is documented at other forums, are there no known solutions there yet? Sounds like you're doing everything you need to, as far as documentation goes. Of course it should not be "normal" to burn that much oil, unless that car has 200k miles or something. If there's nothing obviously broken and no recalls/TSBs on that issue in particular, you will have to fight for the warranty coverage to start replacing parts (which again it sounds like you're doing). Keep us updated on the outcome!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: scottydl

Where have your read this is a pretty common issue? I'm new to the Pacifica crowd but this is the first I've read about it. If the problem is documented at other forums, are there no known solutions there yet? Sounds like you're doing everything you need to, as far as documentation goes. Of course it should not be "normal" to burn that much oil, unless that car has 200k miles or something. If there's nothing obviously broken and no recalls/TSBs on that issue in particular, you will have to fight for the warranty coverage to start replacing parts (which again it sounds like you're doing). Keep us updated on the outcome!

yeah other forums...I would post links but I suspect that is a no no. Some of the causes I read,

1. Rings were too small thus there is blow by on the piston head
2. Rings may have been off set in the wrong order or gapped wrong
3. some PVC valve was bad, I think this is the low pressure oil pump valve?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info. Maybe a mod/admin can comment, but IMO there should not be any problem posting links to other forums here. I mean, the point here is to share information to benefit us all and not compete with each other unnecessarily.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Just to make sure you're receiving the right amount of oil at changes check the oil after it's been changed and driven for a while. I find that just checking the oil after it's been changed and the engine run isn't good enough. For some reason this engine has to be driven and then the oil checked. I have found that 85% of the time after it's been driven I have to add a bit. I'm not saying that this is your total problem but you might not be losing as much as you think if it wasn't there in the first place.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: PacificaBus

Just to make sure you're receiving the right amount of oil at changes check the oil after it's been changed and driven for a while. I find that just checking the oil after it's been changed and the engine run isn't good enough. For some reason this engine has to be driven and then the oil checked. I have found that 85% of the time after it's been driven I have to add a bit. I'm not saying that this is your total problem but you might not be losing as much as you think if it wasn't there in the first place.
Great point and I do check it after its been driven for a bit not after "oil pressure" is acheived.

Make no mistake about it...this car burns oil, so much so that one time (the first time we noticed it) The dip stick was completely dry. The car sounded like a diesel, I suspect there wasn't much oil in it at all. I had to add 2 qts just to get a measurement on the dip stick.

We did do an engine flush yesterday and put fresh syn oil in along with filter etc. So we'll see.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

Most Mopar's I've had would burn a not quite 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes sometime after 30,000-40,000 miles, but nothing like that...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 AM

Of the four Mopar's I've ownedover the last 10 years 1/2 quart (16 oz.) of oil consumption is normal. I own an older Lincoln with 170K. It consumes 1 quart per 1300 miles. Ford says 1 quart per 1500 is normal. 1 quart per 900 miles sounds excessive.

Have youchecked the crankcase ventilation system to ensure that it's working properly and otherfactors than the rings that might contribute to excessive oil consumpton? What kind of driving do you do? Mostly city or highway? Are you using 10W 30 oil?

Bobby

Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Bobby721

Of the four Mopar's I've owned over the last 10 years 1/2 quart (16 oz.) of oil consumption is normal. I own an older Lincoln with 170K. It consumes 1 quart per 1300 miles. Ford says 1 quart per 1500 is normal. 1 quart per 900 miles sounds excessive.

Have you checked the crankcase ventilation system to ensure that it's working properly and other factors than the rings that might contribute to excessive oil consumpton? What kind of driving do you do? Mostly city or highway? Are you using 10W 30 oil?

Bobby

Thanks I will add that to the list to ask the dealer about. For driving my wife mostly drives the kids around town but she does take trips. Yes we are using 10/30 Valoline full syn.

Quick Reply: 05 Burning oil, lots of oil