Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

05 pac questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Default 05 pac questions

hey everyone my names Brandon. im looking in to a 05 pac that my bosses wife has. is there anything i should look for before i buy it? anything i should look out for? is there is problems with this year?

thanks everyone

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM

bump. anyone?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Check for a popping noise if you shift from drive to reverse i have that problem and its common. I love my 05 Pac. Great family car.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM

is the popping noise bad? can it take out the trany?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Want advice? Stay away from the Pacifica. I regret buying my wifes. They look great inside and out but that was Chryslers way of getting you into it, it's a giant heap of crap (as are all of their cars now) from what I am reading and I a,m very nervous that I just threw a bunch of money down the tubes. I would have bought her the Pathfinder or the Explorer had I done my homework. We havent had any MAJOR issues yet but I am already seeing the lack of quality Chrysler put into building ours.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM

That's a bit harsh. I really love my 05 Touring. we have had it for about 6 months now. You have to realize it's a used car and a lot depends on how it was treated. Also, things can break no matter what the car. My wife's boss has a brand new Lexus and the dealer comes to pick it up every week to put gas in it because it won't let you put more than a dime at a time before it triggers the latch on the pump.

Negative points with my 05 Pac:

1. 19-inch rims look really nice, but the Michelin HX MXM4 in that size are 400$ a tire; go for the 17-inch rims if you you want to save money.

2. The center of the dash is sagging about 3/8" downwards. there is a service bulletin out on that.

3. there is a lot of plastic on the exterior pillars and roof trim of the car. Make sure they are still secured.

Aside from that, we haven't had any real problems. It's a bit heavy, so you have to gauge your breaking accordingly.

There are only 2 recalls for them and you can check the VIN on Chrysler's website to see if they were done.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Talking So Far So Good

MB,

You can be paranoid like Cracker... Just remember most posts are going to be about problems, not people raving about how much they love their trouble free cars. Are they the finest built cars on the planet? Probably not... Are there clunks and other suspension noises? Ours has a few, but since I know what causes them, and they don't seem detrimental, it doesn't keep me up at night, or even bother me quite frankly. I've had plenty of other vehicles that were worse. My wife absolutely loves her 06 Touring AWD. I like driving it too. It's comfortable and feels very solid and safe. Don't really love the gas milage though.

Desperado, I've been researching 19" tires as ours have nearly 50k on them, and there are plenty of cheaper tires available. Check out discounttire.com. I'm leaning toward the Yokohama Parada Spec X for $186 with great reviews.

The car is what it is (I fondly call it a big, fat station wagon). I don't see any more or less quality than any other North American built "Big 3" car.

If you don't like it (Cracker) nobody's forcing you to keep it. Go get yourself a Mercedes or a Lexus... I personally can't afford to buy, or maintain one.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM

@PacUtah:

Everyone I've spoken to recommends the Yokohama. It's usually the lowest priced tire in that size, yet, the best rated.

However I just got a deal on Michelin Lattitude Tour HPs for less, so I went with those (They are rated about as good as the Yokos in summer weather). They have been on sale at TireRack for 139$ for the past 6 months.

Of course, being in Canada, that comes out to 250$ installed

I also need dedicated winter tires by law, so I have another set of rims with 235/65/17 Firestone Winterforce.