Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pacifica drive train problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Unhappy 06 Pacifica drive train problem

I have an 06 Pac touring AWD 3.5L that develpoed a drive train problem suddenly. I was driving it around in the city doing my thing and on the way home when I got off the highway, the vehicle doesn't want to go anymore. It's got 63K miles on it and never had a problem with the trans or anything drive train related. It was shifting fine all day and I was on the highway for about 7 miles. At the off ramp is a stop light. When I hit the gas at the light, the problem started out of nowhere. The vehicle is making a whining noise and it will go forward but you have to gas it. It's acting like something is slipping. I was 1/2 mile from home and it's mostly down hill so I preceeded to try and get it home. When I got it up to 25 to 30 mph, I put it into auto stick. It would shift into any gear without any delay shifting but still feels like something is slipping in all gears. Seems to upshift and downshift fine but something is not grabbing. The whine noise seems to be less apparent in lower gears. The trans filter and fluid were changed 10 months ago and the level is full. No burnt smell on the dipstick oil. I've heard that the 07's have had torque converter problems. Could this possibly be the problem with mine? The car's been fine and this just develpoed suddenly when I got off the highway. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks....Dave

Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 PM

have you determined what caused this problem?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM

No not yet. I'm still working on the A/C compressor. Once I get that done I can work on this problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM

I know that whine well. Yeah, it's the TC or your pump is going bad. Either way it's probably a rebuild or a new tranny.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM

This is going to sound strange and indeed it is. I put a new clutch on the A/C compressor and it's now working fine when the clutch is engaged, but something is making it cycle erratically. With the A/C on, the compressor goes on and stays on for a few seconds and then shuts off for 10 seconds or so and it cycles like this all the time. Every few minutes it will stay on for 30 seconds or more. Air is coming out cool most of the time and gets cold when the compressor stays on for 30+ seconds. Could this possibly be the pressure sensor on the high pressure line?? Any other possible causes? Here's where it gets wierd. Once the A/C compressor was repaired which turned out to have a bad pulley bearing causing the clutch to fall apart, the transmission now seems to be working fine! I know I wasn't imagining the tranny slipping. The A/C clutch was making so much noise I couldn't tell if the tranny was making any noise or not. I thought it was whinning but I guess not. Now there's no noise and it's working fine. I drove the vehicle a mile and a half when it was doing this so I know I wasn't just imagining this. It felt like a tranny with slipping belts, I don't know how else to explain it, but at the same time, it felt like it was shifting fine. Just slipping in every gear and I had it in all 4 gears. Can anyone explain this without making me sound as if I'm losing it?