Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

06 Pacifica lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Default What type of oil are you using?

I just went through this problem with our 2004 Pacifica and it appears that the solution had to do with the type of oil that was being used. The dealer had been putting in 5W-20 instead of the thicker 10W-30 which may have been affecting the performance of the hydraulic lifters. We just did an oil change using 10W-30 and everything sounds normal again. At 95K miles, I'm not sure this was really the solution but the car sure does sound better, now.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Default Ticking noise in Chrysler 300

I am having this same ticking issue with my 2006 Chrysler 300 touring. Had it checked over before my 36,000mile warranty was up, just jit 41,000 and my engine is ticking like crazy. Unreal, to have so many problems with such a new car. So upset

Old 05-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Default Do a simple oil change

Before you spend a bunch of money replacing parts, do an oil change and make sure they use 10W-30. I know it sounds simple but the lifters need heavier oil which will quiet them down. It worked for us!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I agree with the idea of changing your oil first. I have recently corrected the noisy valve train problem by switching to Valvoline Synthetic 10-30 oil.

NOTE: No I am not an oil salesman, but it worked for me.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM

I had a lifter noise in my Jeep Cherokee a few years back. Noise was intermittent. No one could figure out what the problem was because whenever I dropped it for a few days at the dealer the noise never happened. When it was happening, it sounded like metal on metal with absolutely no lubrication. I am a fanatice about oil changes and always used Mobil 1/new filter every 4k miles. I tried every after market oil additive known to man. Eventually I stumbled on Restore. Dumped a can in and noise was gone for the next 100k till I sold the car. I own 12 cars from a 64 MB 230sl, Porsche Boxster, 350z, 96 Subaru Outback, Ford Windstar to my 05 Pacifica. I've used Restore in every vehicle at every oil change including my track car (road racing) and have had no engine noises, no engine issues at all. Some of these have over a 150k on them and no problems at all. Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose-except the lifter noise.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Default 06 Pacifica engine lifter noise

We bought our '06 used from a reputable dealer. Had 31k miles, but due to the original lease purchase, it was "out of manufacturer warranty". Within 730 miles (we were 450+ miles into a week-long excursion to the west coast), the knocking started.
We tried oil changes, Restore, Valve-medic. Nothing.
Car only has 33k miles.
Our mechanic/family member said we'll hafta replace the full lifter assembly, and that their info database online showed lots of other Pacifica's from '03 to '07 having this same lifter issue.

Oh, extended warranties I've looked into on this year range (03-07) of Pacifica's is "higher" than other comparable models. Wonder why, anyone?

I'm going to research what it will take to request (demand, if necessary) a recall on this model.

Here's where to file a compliant with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Last edited by techstuffbc; 07-28-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: provide link to file complaints with NHTSA
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M3712.asp
put some in my moms 3.0 that had lifter tick been 6 months and still no more noise.
i'm having same problems and tried everything under the sun except that...will try it

Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Default lifter noise

My 2006 Chrysler Pacificia has serious lifter clacking noise. I took it to a shop and was told that either the lifters are bad, the camshaft is bad or the oil pump is not working to speed. He stated he can check the oil pump with a guage. I looked online and noticed other postings regarding lifter noise. I have 50k miles and have cared for the car. Any ideas? Thx, Will

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Default lifter noise

What kind of oil is in the car right now? I had 10W20 put in during a routine oil change and that's when I started noticing the subtle clicking of the lifters. I took the car back and had them put in 10W30 and the noise went away. They, too, wanted to do engine work but the "thicker" oil seemed to work better with the hydraulic lifters. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Default The mechanics are bumfuzzled,

Does anyone KNOW of a permanent solution to the engine clattering problem in the Chrysler V6,s?

igotrhythym@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: 06 Pacifica lifter noise