Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

08 PAC: Fixing the Power Lumbar Support

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Default 08 PAC: Fixing the Power Lumbar Support

The power lumbar support on my '08 PAC failed. It now just makes clicking noises in the unit that I can feel, as if a linkage is partially disengaged. I saw in another thread that it's easy to replace the whole assembly, but before spending the $250 that the dealer wants for one, I want to inspect it first to see if it might be something simple like a loose screw. But for that, I need access, and that's my question. The seatback panel obviously snaps in place, but without being able to see how, I don't want to experiment and possibly break it. Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 PM

I want to inspect it first to see if it might be something simple like a loose screw. But for that, I need access, and that's my question. The seatback panel obviously snaps in place, but without being able to see how, I don't want to experiment and possibly break it. Has anyone done this sort of thing before?
I doubt it...if it is power, the motor is integral with the actuator, so there isnt much that can come loose...I would be more apt to think the drive gear stripped out. The manual (Lever operated) ones have the screws holding the handle on, and wreak havoc all the time.

Remove the rear trim, undo the "HOG-RINGS" that hold the seat back upholstery , and turn the seat cover inside out and roll it upwards....

Depending on options, you will twist the assembly counter clockwise to disengage the locking tabs and slide it out...It isnt really that tough, but the upholstery is EASILY DAMAGED.... Just something to consider before diving into something with no way to turn back.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Hmmm...easily damaged. I don't like the sound of that. I'll have a look this weekend and make the call on whether or not to proceed. My thinking is that the lumbar is barely worth the price, even if I fix it myself, so if there's risk involved I'll just leave it broken. Thank you for the help.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Default New parts

I removed the same power lumbar mechinisum described in the post. I was able to reove the cover and foud the gears broken in seveal pieces. My question is: Who is the manufaurer of this part? Do yo not think that the price is a bit much for such an easy fix? It almost seems to be a case of planned failure. The tilt motor also went out at the same time. There is a replacement for it that seems more in line with the price for an electric motor. I hope to find the manufacture so as I could possibly repair it at a more reasonable price.
Any help would be appreciated.

RCme

P.S. I have just purchaced an 06 Pacifica a month ago and just sorting through the problems.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 PM

I just replaced my lumbar support mechanism. I have an 08 with 211k miles. Still, the gears in the mechanism don't seem to be very robust. The top and bottom of the wire frame clip into hooks the the metal cross brace above and into sheet metal hooks below. Applying a downward force on the wire at the bottom disengaged it from the lower sheet metal hooks. Repeat the process to install replacement. We shall see how long this one lasts.