Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

08 Pac MIL Transmission Code P083B

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Default 08 Pac MIL Transmission Code P083B

My 08 Pacifica AWD 4.0L 6 speed trans with 93K miles has been going into limp mode intermittently for the past month. At first no MIL code but lately I'm getting a P083B code which points to the trans fluid pressure switch "G circuit" out of range. The vehicle will go into limp mode, and will not go into autostick when this happens. If I stop the car and shut it off and restart it, it will shift properly and will go into autostick if needed. Then it will happen again intermittently while driving and go into limp mode again. At times it will go many days without any problem, and other days it may happen a few times in one day. It doesn't appear to matter if the engine is cold or hot and the trans fluid level is good. Each time it happens I can shut the car off, start it again and it will be fine. I would greatly appreciate any information that will help me pinpoint what may be causing this. I will be changing the trans fluid/filter in the next few days to see if this helps but I'm not getting my hopes up. When I bought this vehicle with 64K miles about a year and a half ago, it would shift very hard into 3'rd gear and one time a couple days after I got it would refuse to go forward. This is when I found that the transmission was over filled by about 2 quarts. I adjusted the fluid level and had the computer reset. It has been shifting fine ever since until now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by grbullets; 10-14-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:31 PM

I am having similar issues.. did you figure anything out?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Amber Toews
I am having similar issues.. did you figure anything out?
Amber, I have not yet fixed my vehicle, but after consulting with a friend of mine who owns a Chrysler repair shop, we have determined that there are two major causes that will cause the transmission to throw a P083B trouble code. We checked sites that list the repairs done that have actually fixed this specific issue. One shop even listed that the ignition switch was causing it, but that was one in almost 100 repairs that listed a known repair so it's not a likely cause. One major cause is the solenoid pack in the transmission, which is a $270 part from Chrysler. To check the operation of the solenoid pack a special tool is needed that simulates the transmission being driven without actually driving the vehicle. You may be able to find a dealer who has this tool but you may have to take it to a transmission shop to have this test performed. The other major cause is the vehicle's PCM (powertrain control module), or the wiring to the PCM. To test the PCM a sequence of tests listed in the factory repair manual need to be performed to check the wiring for shorts, either a short to ground, a short to voltage or an open circuit in the wiring to to transmission solenoid pack. If no problem with the wiring is found, the PCM will need to be replaced. If the PCM is replaced, you will need to take it to a dealer to reprogram the drivetrain software. I have not yet done any testing on my vehicle so I still don't know whats causing the trouble code to be thrown . If you have your vehicle repaired I would love to know what you had done to fix it. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited by grbullets; 01-03-2017 at 11:00 PM.