Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Are Chrysler Pacifica's crap? honesty!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Default Are Chrysler Pacifica's crap? honesty!

Hello all,

I was in the market for a new car to replace my 05 Nissan Murano. However, a dealer near me was offering a 2007 Pacifca touring, fwd. for 10k certified pre-owned with 62k miles on it. That isnt so bad, for the price! and i could really use a cheap car thats affordable for me. I've been reading some reviews about the car and it doesn't look to good but i wanted to know what your honest, non-biased opinion on the car. Also i live in Va. so we have snow up here and i wonder how the car handles in the snow considering its fwd and not awd.

So thanks again everyone

Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Remember.... these types of forums are always full of whiners and complainers.
I don't think I'd buy any car from any manufacturer after reading forums....

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Remember, Pacifica was last made in 2008. You may have some trouble finding parts if you plan to keep it longer. I'd not pay 10k for such a vehicle BTW.

My 2006 Pacifica has been the highest maintainance vehicle that I have owned. I have spend less money and has been to mechanics much less on the same model Mercedes.

Now I am taking Pacifica as an ongoing project (I have other vehicles when Pacifica fails). Earlier this month one of radiator hose started leaking leaving my wife stranded, which we considered as a minor annoyance. I am now always contemplating which part is going to break next. EVAP and fuel pump issues are getting reported frequently recently, so I guess that is what is coming next unless PCM fails or new electrical problem starts. I had to obtain the factory service manual and parts list to keep-up with the issues and I have also upgraded my AAA membership which has come handy many times now.

The good thing is that I have learned more about cars during my 2 years of ownership of Pacifica than in all my life. It has been quite an experience.

But oh well, I guess I'm just a typical whiner.........

Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Thumbs up

Hi YoImNew. I had a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica Base model. I bought with 25,000 miles for $14,500. I owned for about 4-5 years until last year I sold it to my parents with 105k miles. Let me tell you that I had very very good times with that SUV, specially because I travel a lot. I slept many times in the back seats, it is like a queen bed jeje, I even many slept with my girlfriend inside the car, it is very very comfortable, you can drive it for about 16 hours straight and you don't get tired. But well, you want to know if it is a good vehicle? On my experience, it really is. The only money I spent during the 80k miles I owned the Pacifica was its regular oil maintenance, I changed the battery once, and the only problem I had with it was with the rear and front bulb lamp. They burned too frequently, but it didn't represent a cost anyway, the bulb is $10-15 dollars and my mechanic changed it for free, it only took him 10 minutes or less. Now my parents has my Chrysler Pacifica and they love it. It has now about 120k miles and still running with no problems, they just changed the battery again about one month with the warranty of this one.

The bad things about the Pacifica for me are: it spends a lot of gas in the city but on highways is really good and also, I think that SUV is too weak.

My sister's best friend and her husband also own a Pacifica Touring and they love it. They repaired its engine a few month ago instead of selling it just because they are very happy with the SUV.

Its interior space and comfort has no price.

I hope it helps.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM

I'll chime in here with my limited experience so far, YoImNew.

I recently acquired a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica from my in-laws. They bought the car in late 2004 (previous owner traded it in on a new BMW), and it's loaded. I mean LOADED. Leather, DVD, nav, moonroof, AWD, chrome wheels, etc.

They also included ALL of the receipts for all of the work they had done including the oil changes. The total? $3,130 in almost 8 years of ownership. $400 a year in maintenance on a vehicle that has 101,000 miles on it seems pretty decent to me.

The upside is they probably could have knocked a few hundred dollars off of that number, as they had a battery installed at the dealership ($175 more than Sam's Club would have charged for installed batteries), and they had the dealership change the headlight bulbs ($145 for $30 worth of bulbs and 20 minutes of DIY labor).

My take on the vehicle?

The pros: It's held up EXTREMELY well -- the leather is perfect, every option works, and the paint is in excellent condition.

The cons: The irritating STSS light is on (I may or may not fix it). I need to do the timing belt fairly soon, and the dealerships want a lot of money (average: $1100) for this repair. I find the vehicle to be underpowered, and it delivers poor gas mileage, even on the highway. Part of this is due to my other cars (Lexus GS430, Acura CL Type-S) that are both ridiculously fast and deliver high 20's on the highway (30 in the Acura's case), and part of it is due to the fact that the Pacifica really doesn't get great gas mileage or accelerate well.

$10k for a 2007 CPO Pacifica sounds like a pretty decent deal to me, especially with that mileage. If the warranty is extended on that vehicle, you should be protected against any repairs for the near future.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM

YoImNew,

I've had my 07 PAC since May 2011, AWD Touring Limited, sounds similar to yours. I have all the options except nav, dvd screen, and moonroof. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my PAC. I've wanted one since they came out, and I actually looked at and drove a Murano before I got the PAC. Loved the Murano and almost bought one, but I knew this was my only chance to get a Pac since they quit making them in '08.

I do wish I'd looked a bit longer to find a FWD instead of AWD, but ah well. I did have it in the shop last week to have the rear seals replaced since they were leaking, and that caused some other issues, but nothing that had to be repaired or replaced, or that cost me anything (see Christmas tree dashboard post.)

I had the motor mounts replaced under the 30-day dealer warranty when I first got it because I knew that was a common issue, and it was already clunking a little bit.

Rides great, great mileage for the vehicle type, very comfortable and roomy. I plan to drive it til the wheels fall off

Anna

Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM

Hi,
I purchase an 05 new, 140,xxx on it now. At around 70K I had to replace seals in the rear, a few years ago had a noise coming from the front end. Mechanic took care of it. I am happy with the car. I plan to drive it until it has 200K on it. No major issues or problems. But the gas mileage is poor for a 6. I have to take it in, as my mileage has dropped from 19.9 in the city to 17 in the city. Overall I am happy with the car.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks for sharing such a vital information, actually I am looking for information regarding. Now this thread definitely help me a lot.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Sad news...my 2004 just threw a rod.....7000 to rebuild... Found a used 3.5 for 1500... Still love the way it goes down the road...quiet as a church and lots of room for my family...still.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 AM

HAd our 05 for about 54-5 years? Got the extended warranty when we got it from a dealer, have not had to use it once. Been a great car, never had a problem with it.
Like the room, tons in the back seats, like the leather interior. We have 2 retrievers, looked at little SUV's like Ford Exploder etc, not enough room for them in the back of those. Lots in the Pacifica.
It's a little gutless, not great mileage but it's a pretty big, WIDE heavy car.

Our neighbour had a new one, 07 or 08 or something and they got rid of it cuz of all the problems. I guess we're lucky, our has been great.

Quick Reply: Are Chrysler Pacifica's crap? honesty!