Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Power Liftgate Problem.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Default 2004 Power Liftgate Problem.

Sorry everybody. I searched on liftagate issues, and read quite a few, but nothing seems to match my problem.

I have a 2004 Pacifica with a power liftgate.

When I try to open the liftgate using any of the three options, I hear a click , but the liftgate does not unlatch. I used the emergency release to open the liftgate. Nothing appears to be jammed in the area of the latch near the liftgate side or the cargo area side. I lubricated the latch mechanism inside the liftgate and cycled it several time to make sure it opened and closed freely.

After opening the liftgate using the emergency release, the key fob and the overhead switch both work normally when attempting to close the liftgate, that is until the final latching sequence. The liftgate only partially latches. In other words, its not fully latched, but it won't open either. Even in this state of being partially latched, the liftgate will not open by any of the three options. In order to latch it fully, I have to press the liftgate firmly to engage the latch.

It seems like power is obviously getting to the rear latch assembly, but its missing the "oomph" to send the liftgate on its way when opening, and to really grab the liftgate when closing. Of course, I'm just speculating.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an appointment at a Chrysler Dealership on Friday, but I'd rather avoid the cost since the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Hi Mike,
I also have this same issue on my 2004 Pac. I replaced the battery in my FOB and noticed that when I press harder on the release button the problem stopped...
Perhaps just a weak fob signal?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Werx. I see what you mean, but the problem exists whether I try it from the key fob, the overhead switch or the liftgate itself.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Okay, I had the power liftgate actuator replaced and it fixed the issue of the liftgate not latching or unlatching properly. In fact, the difference is night and day. But a funny thing happened along the way. Once the liftgate actuator was replaced, the liftgate wouldn't open or close as designed. In fact, there was no power to the lift motor at all. The funny thing is, the up/down motor was working perectly when I dropped it off. The Technicians seemed stumped, so we agreed that I'd take it home and have them look at it again on Monday.

Just for fun, I checked the fuse box and found a fuse named "Powered Liftgate". I popped out the fuse and nothing back there worked. Not the latch/unlatch actuator (which was just replaced and working fine) nor the up/down motion. Okay, that makes sense, no fuse, no power. But then it gets weird.

I swapped the fuse with another 40A fuse and the liftgate worked perfectly, latch/unlatch, open/close. Okay, I put the original fuse back in, and the liftgate would latch/unlatch, but it wouldn't go up or down. Could a fuse be "half bad"?

Then I went to Autozone and bought a replacement fuse, stuck it in and everything (as of now) is working fine, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, I'm glad it's working, and I hope it keeps working, but I have to ask, WTFO?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:26 AM

Mine is doing something similar.

It works 100% of the time during the warmer months, but as soon as we get a cold snap, it stops working. Does the same thing yours is doing. It unlatches, but never opens.

I haven't really looked to hard into it since it's not a necessity, but it does have my curiosity peaked.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks. I looked at your (I think is was your) reply to another thread. My luck ran out Friday morning. The liftgate worked great first thing (after being parked in the garage all night), then my wife did some early "Black Friday" shopping. After sitting out for a few hours, it would unlatch, but not open. So it's definitely temperature related. It seams like there is a thermal switch that shuts off the motor, possibly to prevent damage.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Mike, my 2004 pacifica is now doing the same thing. I can open it by the emergency open latch but when it closes it will not fully latch, then when I push on it it closes completely, but will not reopen unless I use the emergency latch again. Was that the same problem as yours?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Default Tailgate will not stay open

Hello everyone. The tailgate on my 2006 pacifica will not stay open. The key fob and the switch in the car work to open it. Once the tailgate reaches the top, it beeps and then automatically closes. You can imagine what an inconcenience this is. The tailgate door is quite heavy! I have to hold it open myself in order to place anything back there.

Anybody have any ideas as to what can fix this?

Thank you!!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ajcalvet
Hello everyone. The tailgate on my 2006 pacifica will not stay open. The key fob and the switch in the car work to open it. Once the tailgate reaches the top, it beeps and then automatically closes. You can imagine what an inconcenience this is. The tailgate door is quite heavy! I have to hold it open myself in order to place anything back there.

Anybody have any ideas as to what can fix this?

Thank you!!
I think your liftgate supports are weak/bad. The power lift is sensing resistance and reversing, and the supports should hold the weight for you during manual operation.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Default Pacifica power Tailgate issues

I know this is an older thread but I was hoping to continue it because it has not answered my problem with my lift-gate. My car is an 04 Chrysler Pacifica. I recently purchased it and its a high mileage car so I dont know the history, like if it had gate problems previously. The lift-gate only beeps and makes a clicking noise when I use either the Key FOB or the front ceiling button. Otherwise, I have to manually unlock it from inside the trunk. I did take the inside rear panel off to inspect the lift motor but I dont know what else to look for? If I was to guess, it "looks" like the motor is attempting to move when I hit the key FOB and the gate is open, however shouldint the gate try to close at that point if the motor was working? Is it more likely to be the power liftgate actuator that is the problem or the motor itself? Is there any other things I could be missing? I am going to risk getting either a used motor OR a used actuator on Ebay and install myself if an average DIY'er can handle it. The new parts at Chrysler are WAY too much $. They quoted me between 5-600$ for the motor which they said only comes complete with the slide rail. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Power Liftgate Problem.