Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 water pump / cylinder block drain(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Question 2004 water pump / cylinder block drain(s)

So, I'm in the middle of R & R of the radiator, water pump, timing belt & thermostat on a 2004 Pacifica with the 3.5 liter engine. The manual states to "Remove the cylinder block drain plug(s)" however there are no directions or figures to tell me where it / they are located. I'm not seeing anything that is obviously a plug in the block for the draining of coolant. Can any of the experienced (or not) Chrysler folks giver me some direction here?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:05 PM

Not really necessary. You remove the drain plug to drain the cooling system, but when you disconnect the radiator hose you're going to drain the system anyway. It's a little messier but it'll do.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM

So, completed the water pump, timing belt, tensioner & pulley, radiator, thermostat. Have leaks. Pulled front timing cover & appears to be from a few places through rear timing cover into cavity of timing belt & water pump. Manual says there are O rings that seal the water pump passages to the block. So to get to those, rear timing cover has to come off. I'm a little intimidated with that step.

From reading elsewhere on this forum, I'm pretty sure I don't have to remove valve covers & rocker assys. but do I need to do the following as pasted from the manual?
(4) Install a dial indicator in number 1 cylinder to check TDC of the piston. Rotate the crankshaft until the piston is at exactly TDC.
(5) Remove camshaft retainer/thrust plate from rear of right cylinder head (Fig. 152).

I am at TDC on the crank & camshafts.

Then it looks like I need to remove the alternator & power steering reservoir, but the manual doesn't say its necessary.

Any tips at this point.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:51 PM

Block drain plugs are high on the block, just under the exhaust manifolds. No real need to remove as when the pump is pulled, block will drain.
No need to pull the covers/dial indicate etc if only replacing pump and belt.
Seals behind the water pump do require removal of the right cam sprocket, then the right rear timing housing. Special timing tool needed to index cam & sprocket.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

you will need to remove the V covers and Loosen up the cam bolts remove the back cam plates push the cam towards the driver side to get the cam bolt and gear to clear that tight area. This will need to be done to remove the timing cover that has the o rings on teh back of it.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 AM

So Kevin, I'm guessing you're talking about the cam shaft thrust plates? Manual says to remove ONE on the right rear (Driver side) of cylinder head. Haven't looked real close yet but I'm guessing BOTH need to come off?

This manual could have been written a bit better.

So to get the rear timing cover off, I'm seeing that (from already completing the water pump & timing belt & putting it all back together) that both cam sprockets, the crank sprocket and the power steering reservoir all need to be removed. Is that correct? Is there anything else to come off?

I remove the thrust plates so the cams can be pushed partially out the drivers side (rear of engine) so I can get the bolts out/off that hold the sprockets to the cams?

I think if this car were a horse, I'd take it out and shoot it.

Thanks for the info to this point.

Greg

Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Crank sprocket no The timing cover only goes down about 6 inches to teh crank so it will not need to come off. Yes the thrust plates will need to come off to back teh cams out far enough to pull the bolt out all the way. I just installed some 3.5 heads today on a Journey.