Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica P0203 and P0344

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
if your an engineer then this should not be an issue understanding this.
All systems are pretty much the same when it comes down to physics
a cam shaft is a SOLID peace of metal with lobes on it making a service of vales go up and down when its turned At the end of that shaft is a sensor a magnetic pick up sensor i might add when the slots for the shaft move past this sensor the magnetic filed is broken and the computer will pick that up then off the software in the computer it knows right where any valve is placed at any given point in time.

The 203 code is a fuel injector issue

replace the cam sensor and replace that fuel injector and u should be good to go.

What may sound harsh is basically 15 years of having to repeat myself to other techs and other people when they come ask you a question u tell them what they need to know and then they go ask some one else the same thing then come back and ask again.

do you like having some one at your work question you about your knowledge about a subject that u know what u know in?
I actually have never minded an inquisitive attitude. And my experience has taught me that usually, but not always, if two faults happen simultaneously, it is likely they are related in some way.

In any case, we'll find out. We ordered an oem cps from the dealer and will change that baby out. If we still have problems and/or are throwing a code from the fuel injector we'll deal with that next.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to clear the codes on a Pacifica without using a scanner tool. Since they do indeed seem hang around even with the CE light off we'll have to clear them once we've swapped out that sensor so we know what we're dealing with if the CE comes back.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

if the issue is corrected it will turn itself off after a few days of driving

Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by momzilla
We ordered an oem cps from the dealer and will change that baby out.
When you buy aftermarket cam and crank sensors...buy two....lol

Don't erase the memory. The misfire monitor will have to be reset and someone may need to watch the misfire monitor for diag purposes. Juts let the light go out on it's own...if it will.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
When you buy aftermarket cam and crank sensors...buy two....lol

Don't erase the memory. The misfire monitor will have to be reset and someone may need to watch the misfire monitor for diag purposes. Juts let the light go out on it's own...if it will.
Am I not avoiding the bad part scenarios by buying from the dealer?

The reason I want to clear the codes is because I also had the 0203 code and once I replace cps if I don't clear the codes and the CE light comes back I won't know if it is that I didn't fix the cam sensor problem (ie bad part) or I have another issue going on with the fuel injector, since I will still have all three codes stored in memory. The codes seem to stay even after the CE light goes out.

Does this make sense?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

remove the battery cable for 5 min

Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
remove the battery cable for 5 min
Thank you much. We have part in hand, and I think I've even figured out how to disconnect the locking clip. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Well, crap.

Replacing the Cam sensor didn't fix the problem. Cleared the codes, husband took it out and popped a 0203 and a 0344 simultaneously. I know the 203 is the injector code and the 344 is a Cam sensor Code, same as when this problem first began. They have got to be related (sorry Chrysler Tech) since they occur together.

I've run across in a troubleshooting manual and elsewhere that the Crank Sensor can cause the 0344 code. Worth changing out the crank sensor? Or is it time to throw in the towel and bring it in? Think the husband might be at the end of his cooperation anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM

There is a VERY SMALL chance the crank sensor can be doing both of them. If a crank sensor (or any sensor on the 5V circuit) shorts internally, it can effect the PCM as a whole, sometimes even causing a communication loss. As for me, I have never seen a sensor and an actuator code triggering at the same time unless it was a PCM issue or some wires touching somwhere in the wiring harness.

Now something else..., the PCM is in a strange place (under the fender on drivers side) There can be some wiring damage from road debris or some corrosion issue going on there. The pins for the cam sensor and the injector drivers are in the same PCM connector...the middle one

Last edited by TNtech; 05-15-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM

There is a VERY SMALL chance the crank sensor can be doing both of them. If a crank sensor (or any sensor on the 5V circuit) shorts internally, it can effect the PCM as a whole, sometimes even causing a communication loss. As for me, I have never seen a sensor and an actuator code triggering at the same time unless it was a PCM issue or some wires touching somwhere in the wiring harness.

Now something else..., the PCM is in a strange place (under the fender on drivers side) There can be some wiring damage from road debris or some corrosion issue going on there. The pins for the cam sensor and the injector drivers are in the same PCM connector...the middle one
Oooh, interesting. It does, now that you mention it, seem perhaps electrical.

Would shorting or a connector issue also cause the performance issues I've been having? hesitation when accelerating from a stop, bucking when accelerating above a certain rpm, 2500-3000 or so, both intermittent?

How is the PCM accessed?

(Lordy don't let it be the PCM itself, that sounds expensive)

Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Default Update on Multiple Codes

So, just to give an update. Had to take the car to the dealer we bought it from, due to the powertrain warranty being through the dealer. It's a Chevy dealer. They've had it for 2 days and have yet to be able to diagnose it.

It has 4 codes - 0203, 0405, 0340, 0344. Symptoms - intermittent hesitation when accelerating from a stop. Has died when accelerating from stop and then won't restart for a few minutes like it would were it flooded. Has also had the symptom of bucking during acceleration and correcting itself from that if I back off accelerator, after which is will drive normally. I can keep it from coding and minimize symptoms by driving it like a grandma, never letting rpm get above about 2500.

Today the question for me was if the cam sensor we installed was aftermarket or OEM. (answer: OEM. Plus changing it did not change the symptoms.

Should I suggest they investigate in some direction? Must be electrical? Would electrical cause all those symptoms? Why would I be able to avoid the symptoms by babying the car, then?

Thank goodness they gave me a free loaner. I have a feeling this will be a long process.

Quick Reply: 2005 Pacifica P0203 and P0344