Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Hot battery terminals

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Default 2006 Hot battery terminals

I have a new issue today with the electrical system that I'm slightly stumped on. Previously I had the issue with the flickering light system. I performed the fix listed on this forum and had no issue since doing so. a few days ago the low beams in my wifes pac both went out. I had changed them for Silver Star version a month before. I just changed them and they both work. During that process I happened to reach up and touch the positive battery terminal and burned myself on it. Knowing that its heat caused by resistance I naturally assumed that something was wrong with the repair I'd done. I checked it and its fine. Now I decided to start tracking the wiring and removed the wireloom on those feeds to track them down.

I have discovered that in that loom one of the two wires from the battery terminal goes to the fuse box (as completely expected) The other goes to a proprietary connection on the starter. From there there is an 8ga wire that comes out to a splice that converts to the charging lead on the alternator. The alternator lead and post is hot enough to burn you after its been running a bit. Charging voltage at idle is 14.84v at both the alternator, the battery and fuse box wire.

Next I removed the factory wire that leads to the fuse box and replaced it with a 44" 4ga start wire from Autozone. This is roughly the same length as the factory wire. All accessories are on and appear to be working. The battery terminal still got warm but I could leave my hand on it. Post on the alternator still to hot to touch. Next I removed the lead from the alternator and replaced it with a 4 ga wire that I ran directly to the battery. This effectively eliminates any resistance in that connector in the starter in my mind. While its still there, the only power that needs to flow through it is to start the car. Battery terminals are warm, alternator post still to hot to touch. Things seem hotter when the headlights are on. I don't know if that is related. I cannot imagine those bulbs would cause this.

Now I'm wondering if the alternator is having an issue of some sort internally. Any information of similar issues would be appreciated. I'm growing rather tired of what I consider ridiculous design flaws. I'm seriously considering removing this portions of the wiring harness and replacing them individual wiring, however getting at that starter is less than an easy proposition.

Last edited by tcwaltz; 10-15-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:53 PM
Default Ground wire

Check your ground ftom transmission to engine i had the same issues discoverd the ground wire was bad easy fix