Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Pacifica won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Default 2006 Pacifica won't start

I have a 2006 Pacifica with 90,000K which has been running fine. Drove it last night with no issues whatsoever. Went to drive it today and it won't start. When I turn the key it just makes a rapid clicking sound. It does not sound like the engine is cranking at all, it is sort of an electrical sounding click. The dashboard lights and interior lights all come on and they blink during the clicking sound so I don't think its the battery (which is only a year old). The battery cables appear to be okay and the fuses for the starter and starter relay are good. When I turn the key three times to release the P codes it just says "P done" and it does not give any error codes. However, the check engine light blinks 10 times then stays on. I have googled various things trying to come up with a solution and haven't been able to find a good answer. I am really hoping that someone can help me figure out what it is rather than have to start guessing at what it could be and replace things that may or may not be broken.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

your battery is dead jump it off or replace the battery

Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM

+1…

The age of the battery is, somewhat, irrelevant... I’ve had batteries last 9 years, and other less than a year. However, a drained battery could have been caused by many things from light(s) being left on, an accessory left plugged into the “live” cigarette adapter, etc. to just a plain bad battery.

The rapid clicking sounds you are hearing is the Starter Solenoid energizing and attempting to engage the starter gear. The fact that the lights (interior and dash) flicker in concert with the solenoid is also a tell-tale sign of a weak battery.

You had/have just enough voltage to light up the lights, but not enough cranking amps to turn over the motor…

If your battery is new, you should have some warranty left in it. Take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement and have your charging system checked at the same time to be sure that you don’t have a Alternator on its way out the door too…

Cheers.

Last edited by Grenadiers; 10-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Definitely sounds like a battery issue which may or may not be caused from a bad alternator. If the alternator isn't recharging the battery it doesn't matter how old the battery is.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

U would have a battery light on if the alt was an issue

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM

It was the battery! I jumped the car and it started up fine. Drove it around for a while and everything was perfect. It has been starting up just like normal ever since. I guess one of the lights was left on or something was plugged in to the lighter. If I have any other problems I will get the battery tested but it looks like it will be fine. Thanks to everyone for the quick and helpful replies!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Glad to have helped out!!

Cheers!!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Default Cannot start 2005 Pacifica

I am having the exact same issue as the OP. I turn the key and get nothing but clicks. At first they were rapid, sort of like the sound you get if you try to start a car that is already running. It quickly devolved into the clicking sound described in the OP's post. The lights would dim with the clicking. I also get the same "p code".

I am wondering if the alternator is going bad, as we tried to jump the car but it still would not start.

I am open to suggestions. I apprecitate your help.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

replace your battery and alternator has nothing to do with starting a car.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Replacing the battery did allow the car to start, and it is behaving as it should. I still think there is a reason the battery was drained, and having several electrical issues made me lean towards the alternator.

Aside from having it tested, are there things I can look out for to clue me in if it is the alternator?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2006 Pacifica won't start