Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2007 Pacifica P0456 code

Old 09-23-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Marlin84
I found this on my wife's Pacifica a few years ago. I fabricated my own connection to replace the broken one on the passenger side module. The leak is back, and I know it's the same thing, as I did not anticipate my repair lasting as long as it did.

I have been over the service manual, and I've spent many many hours on google and cannot find an answer to the following question- What is the purpose of this vapor line? It appears to be going just between the two in-tank modules. There's plenty of space in the tank to allow for air movement above the fuel level between the two modules. Why is this line even needed?

I know I can buy a new passenger side module and then use a flexible fuel line to make the connection, but would this be a problem?

Is there a reason I cannot simple PLUG the vapor line connection point in this situation? What problems could it cause? The rest of the EVAP system lines and devices are intact.

I've only got a few weeks to get her car ready for emissions.. this is the same time of the year that the problem first occurred (of course, just a few weeks before emissions were due for registration purposes )

There is 2" a dip on top of the tank in the center, the line may be to equalize both sides.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM

i was getting a P0456 code and MIL light. eventually it was found via smoke test by the dealer to be the cracked fuel pump plastic nipple. fixable only by dropping the tank and replacement as was sold to me. between code clearings, smoke test, tank drop and repair labor and parts it cost me almost a grand. i hear this can be a common condition due to the rubber hoses being too short and over time putting tension on the nipples causing a lateral strain that with time causes them to crack, opening a slight atmospheric path that causes the system to fail the weekly vacuum self-diagnostic test. i haven't been able to get an idea of the regularity and i tried unsuccessfully to contact the zone office on this. other fish to fry.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BelfairPacifica
i was getting a P0456 code and MIL light. eventually it was found via smoke test by the dealer to be the cracked fuel pump plastic nipple. fixable only by dropping the tank and replacement as was sold to me. between code clearings, smoke test, tank drop and repair labor and parts it cost me almost a grand. i hear this can be a common condition due to the rubber hoses being too short and over time putting tension on the nipples causing a lateral strain that with time causes them to crack, opening a slight atmospheric path that causes the system to fail the weekly vacuum self-diagnostic test. i haven't been able to get an idea of the regularity and i tried unsuccessfully to contact the zone office on this. other fish to fry.
Well finally after a very busy fall I got it back to the dealer & they found the pump on tank 2 has a leak. They ordered the pump & hose. Said it would be over $800 so basically the same as they hit you with, I mentioned I have a Chrysler lifetime extended warranty so he checked and agreed it's covered so hopefully this does it.

Does anyone here know, as far as extended warranties go, I have the Added care with a $100 deductible, does that deductible include the diagnostic fee which I paid or do I have to pay both?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by indept
Does anyone here know, as far as extended warranties go, I have the Added care with a $100 deductible, does that deductible include the diagnostic fee which I paid or do I have to pay both?
You should only be charge a $100 deductible for both parts and labor under the Mopar Vehicle Protection Added Care contract (or any other Mopar Contract).

Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM

between the evap leak saga followed recently by the flickering lights saga here over the holidays i'm not getting happy. glad they are getting you worked out.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM

just did both fuel pumps, replaced with delphi units

did replace the evap hose between the 2 pumps on the top of the tank, here is why, the oem line shrunk, about an inch, and that is what caused the nipple to break off, my nipple was half sheared off

my vehicle now runs better, but I am not having any codes, and can't go over 40 mph. I obviously can't drive it like this, so I can't jsut keep driving until I get more codes....

Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Jimbo74
That sucks. Could it be possible that the aftermarket units don' t regulate at the required 58psi?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM

My saga continues:
Got my Pac back with new pumps 2 weeks ago. 1st time I filled the tank I smelled fuel. When I called the dealer about it they said do NOT top the tank off. He said it was from the vents. Last night I had it filled Then drove home. When I got out of the car I smelled gas. I got a flashlight came out to find gas on the driveway. It was dripping off the tank & the bottom of the tank was wet. Once again the dealer said it was probably due to the gas station topping the tank off. I took it in to have them check it. So it's common for Pacs to leak gas through the vents if topped off???

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by indept
My saga continues:
Got my Pac back with new pumps 2 weeks ago. 1st time I filled the tank I smelled fuel. When I called the dealer about it they said do NOT top the tank off. He said it was from the vents. Last night I had it filled Then drove home. When I got out of the car I smelled gas. I got a flashlight came out to find gas on the driveway. It was dripping off the tank & the bottom of the tank was wet. Once again the dealer said it was probably due to the gas station topping the tank off. I took it in to have them check it. So it's common for Pacs to leak gas through the vents if topped off???
Have never had any overfill venting issues with our 2006..

Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 PM

Occasionally I would smell fumes if overly topped off but never saw gas dripping before they replaced both pumps. They checked it yesterday & said all looked good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Pacifica P0456 code