Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2007 Pacifica - Radio - No sound on AM everything else ok.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Default 2007 Pacifica - Radio - No sound on AM everything else ok.

I searched for "radio" here in the Pacifica forum before posting this. Saw a few issues with total loss of sound but not my problem. If this has been posted elsewhere, sorry for the infraction.
The radio works fine and has sound in FM, CD, DVD but no sound when on AM. If I try the seek on AM it will not pick up any station. I'm guessing that means antenna. Is there a separate antenna for AM and if so how do I check it?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having this EXACT same problem with my 2008 Pacifica LX.

This is the bare bones model Pacifica, RAH factory radio, no infinity, DVD, or external Amplifier.

I thought it was just loss of AM reception, and that it was just a problem with the radio itself, so I decided to install aftermarket radio to remedy. When I installed aftermarket, AM reception was crap (static, not just silence, but still crap), and FM reception was quite bad as well.

I went back to the factory radio to at least have FM. Then I realized on a road trip last week that FM reception on the factory unit is poor too, but since I live in a metropolitan area, I hadn't noticed the poor FM reception until I was on the fringe. Stations from Minneapolis, that I normally get clearly until I'm almost to Iowa, fizzled out around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way south.

I've checked the connections to the roof-mounted antenna in the rear, and everything seems to be fine

Bottom line here, I'm a technician at a radio station, and I can't figure this out!!!

Somebody, please HELP!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 PM

I should also mention that with the factory unit, I can literally be parked AT the transmitter site of our 50,000-watt AM station, and it will still be completely silent. I scan channels and it just keeps scrolling through the whole AM Band.

With the aftermarket unit, for the 10 minutes that I had it installed, I could receive a 5,000-watt AM station that was about 2 miles from my house, but that was it... nothing else except static on the aftermarket radio.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM

A TSB from long ago. What the text is saying is that the radio puts out the power at that pin. You also need to do continuity checks on your ant grid.

Radio will not play in AM or FM modes.

Vehicle is not equipped with SDAR radio.

Recommendation::

Check to see if the antenna module that is built into the antenna has a 12 volt feed to it. If no 12 volts the radio will not get the signal and will not play. Need to check the 22 way connector at the radio pin #13. It should have 12 volts when the radio is turned on. If no voltage at pin #13 then Reset radio and check again if still no power then replace the radio. If you have power at the radio but not at the antenna then trace the wiring back to the antenna module or hard wire it back to the antenna module.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-17-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 AM

@TNtech, thanks for the reply... I have searched and googled and came up with nothing regarding this... however, I may have overlooked the TSB that you reference, simply because my FM radio does still work fairly well, and it's only the AM that's completely dead.

Could you give me some more information about a real-world solution to this? Specifically, in reference to the TSB:
- When it says "Antenna Module"... is this simply the antenna/base/wiring that is attached to the rear roof of the Pacifica?
- When it says "Reset Radio", would the complete removal of the radio from the car constitute a "reset", or is there a specific procedure to follow?
- Where would I check power "at the antenna"? I would guess that it's not on the shield or center conductor of the coax itself, is it?

Do you have access to a wiring diagram and pinout diagram of all the radio wiring and connectors in the standard system? If so, I know that would be very beneficial to me.

Thanks a TON.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Default Same AM radio problem, any solutions?

Hello,
I was listening to my AM radio in my Pacifica and heard it Fizz out, then no am reception. Still have FM and everything else works. Is there a solution to this problem? I see the technical service response, but it doesn't look like it was the solution to anyone's AM reception problem.
Thank you in advance

Originally Posted by gully52
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am having this EXACT same problem with my 2008 Pacifica LX.

This is the bare bones model Pacifica, RAH factory radio, no infinity, DVD, or external Amplifier.

I thought it was just loss of AM reception, and that it was just a problem with the radio itself, so I decided to install aftermarket radio to remedy. When I installed aftermarket, AM reception was crap (static, not just silence, but still crap), and FM reception was quite bad as well.

I went back to the factory radio to at least have FM. Then I realized on a road trip last week that FM reception on the factory unit is poor too, but since I live in a metropolitan area, I hadn't noticed the poor FM reception until I was on the fringe. Stations from Minneapolis, that I normally get clearly until I'm almost to Iowa, fizzled out around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way south.

I've checked the connections to the roof-mounted antenna in the rear, and everything seems to be fine

Bottom line here, I'm a technician at a radio station, and I can't figure this out!!!

Somebody, please HELP!

Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM

I have an 07 Pacifica, and had the problem you note several months ago (no AM, everything else worked. I replaced the roof mounted antenna (base and all), and that fixed it. Not hard to do.